Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Newbe!

  1. #1
    New Member Billyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Forest, VA
    Hammock
    Still looking
    Tarp
    Need hammock first
    Insulation
    Self-Infla. pad
    Posts
    15

    Question Newbe!

    Question: At 61-yo and with a prostate the size of a football, I have to get up almost every 2-hrs to take a leak. This is why I have been in a tent all these years. The old-body tells me it might be time to try a hammock

    So what about the getting up so often

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    xxx
    Posts
    405
    well a couple possibilities come to mind

    1.) if using a top loader just move to the "back" side, hang it off the edge and go while still laying in the hammock

    2.) if willing to do some minor customization to the hammock - put a small reinforced hole in the bottom of the hammock and use a Texas catheter with some plastic tubing

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,855
    Images
    101
    Some guys use a pee bottle during the night and toss it all if/when it gets full or in the morning. I hang mine from the structural ridgeline by a small biner. Just make sure it is distinctive. You don't want to reach into your pack and pull out a nalgene to fill with filtered water and then find out you got the wrong bottle.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Doraville, GA
    Posts
    947
    Images
    23
    I use a top loader hammock so a pee bottle works very well, easy to dump. Just keep the down slope side clear, reach out and pour low to the ground.

    Some folks say they have trouble using a pee bottle in a hammock but that hasn't been a problem for me. Use a good head lamp, a wide mouth bottle, and rotate a little to one side.
    Youngblood AT2000

  5. #5
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    Careful with those quilts/underquilts such as the JRB ones. Else you'll end up with a lemon-lime quilt.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  6. #6
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,807
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Careful with those quilts/underquilts such as the JRB ones. Else you'll end up with a lemon-lime quilt.
    Two second lieutenants standing at a urnal..... When done the "mustang" heads for the door and the West Pointer goes to the cink.... West pointer says, Didn't they teach you to wash after you go at OCS? Mustang aswers, "Naw, they taught us not to P** on our fingers."

    Pad user and Under Quilt users do the mid nite bio break deed... Next morning the UQer is packing up, the pad user is washing his pad.... UQer says, "even though the CCF is non absorbing they really should come with directions for you to aim well clear."

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  7. #7
    Senior Member cavediver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern IL
    Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Posts
    826
    Images
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I use a top loader hammock so a pee bottle works very well, easy to dump. Just keep the down slope side clear, reach out and pour low to the ground.

    Some folks say they have trouble using a pee bottle in a hammock but that hasn't been a problem for me. Use a good head lamp, a wide mouth bottle, and rotate a little to one side.
    I agree I use a gatoraid bottle and just rotate over on my hip a bit and then poor out as soon as I am done and keep it on the other side of the clark hammock pockets so not to get it confused. works very well....

  8. #8
    Senior Member cavediver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern IL
    Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Posts
    826
    Images
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Two second lieutenants standing at a urnal..... When done the "mustang" heads for the door and the West Pointer goes to the cink.... West pointer says, Didn't they teach you to wash after you go at OCS? Mustang aswers, "Naw, they taught us not to P** on our fingers."

    Pad user and Under Quilt users do the mid nite bio break deed... Next morning the UQer is packing up, the pad user is washing his pad.... UQer says, "even though the CCF is non absorbing they really should come with directions for you to aim well clear."

    Pan

    Those were good!!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. A KY Newbe
    By day hunter in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 17:04
  2. Newbe
    By andy202wr in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 20:02
  3. Old newbe
    By Lightray in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 20:21
  4. Newbe
    By slowpace in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 13:14
  5. Newbe pad ?
    By Kirkman in forum Pads
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 19:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •