Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN

Ham mocking with a dog?

I would like to take my Jack Russell but am not sure, anyone take their dog and let them sleep in the hammock with you?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My beagle Peanut sleeps in the hammock with me. He's rather docile, though. He doesn't try to get out and his claws have never punctured my hammock. Jack Russells are a bit more excitable. I guess you'll just have to try it to see how your dog does. For winter camping, you can't beat dog insulation - better than down.

Kayak Karl sleeps with his dog Kaia and she's big - some kind of Lab mix. Other folks say, "no way Jose" to dog in the hammock.

I have mostly cheap durable hammocks - Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip and Byer Moskito Hammock. Peanut has slept in both often and caused no damage. However, I just got a double-layer Buttinasling hammock made out of 1.1 ripstop, which seems a bit more delicate than the fabric in the other two hammocks. I might be hesitant to put a dog in 1.1 oz ripstop.

But Peanut is docile (sometimes I have to check his pulse to make sure he's alive). I doubt he would damage even 1.1 oz ripstop.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I asked that question last Summer. I have a Medical Alert Dog, that I wanted to try hanging with. She is 105 pounds, I decided naps were one thing all night, I do not think so.
    I bought a Hennessy Cub Hammock for her, so she is next to me, I know where she is, and she is close by me to warn if I am going to have an something happen.

Try reading through the prior posts, I am sure you will find a thread or two, on the subject of sleeping with your dog.

One member made a hammock for his Girl Friends Dog. He said the dog really liked to hang.

You will not have to worry about weight issues, just sleeping style. Little things, like do you sleep warmer than the dog? Will the dog need to get up in the night for a potty break or drink? Does the dog kick when sleeping. My little Pug, kicks the heck out of me, when I let him on my bed.

Have fun!

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Jacks are fine if they have a warm spot at night
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Slapstraps
    Hey, check out my avatar picture. Thats me and my JRT mix hanging together. We didn't sleep a whole night, but we both nodded out for close to an hour after a long hike. He didn't seem to mind the hammock at all.

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I have been wondering the same. My mutt is about 66 lbs and 10 months old. I got her in the hammock but she jumped back out. Gonna try again when she is tired
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    At 75 pounds, no way is my dog getting in the hammock with me. I think he like the ground...

S

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Before I broke it, I had an ENO in the yard for me and the kids to lounge in on nice days. We have a pug/beagle mix I would put in there with me and she would curl up and nap with no problem.
    i totally take back all those times i didn't want to nap when i was a kid

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My dog sleeps in my hammock all the time and she's a tad bit bigger than a JRT. Just remember it does take some training, as I started Kiba off when she was just a pup.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I have 2 Jack Russell Terriers and a Rat Terrier. I have a big rope hammock that I laid a poncho liner over and all three dogs napped with me. I tried a couple times to sleep with one at a time in my jungle hammock, but I couldn't sleep all night with any of them. They jump up when they hear a noise or smell something. They also move around and change positions, which wakes me up. I would love to take them hiking and let them sleep with me in the hammock, but it just doesn't work. I may put up another hammock beside me for them.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast