Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    OK...I've taken drastic measures over here at Casa River. I just ordered a Shenandoah UQ from JRB. I just don't sleep too well with that pad in there and it's way too bulky for my tastes. I'm anxious to see /feel the difference that it makes vs. the pad. I'll report back.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverfever View Post
    OK...I've taken drastic measures...

Given your space limitations, I think you'll certainly enjoy how small the quilt will pack down. Looking forward to your observations about the quilt.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    KAQ - home made
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    :Given your space limitations, I think you'll certainly enjoy how small the quilt will pack down. Looking forward to your observations about the quilt.
    Not that you'll need the extra space now, but possibly . . . could you use one of those internal corner frame bags (mentioned earlier but dismissed because of the water bottles) upside down between the seat post and top tube? This would give you a tad-bit of storage to that your larger packs could hold something essential.

I'm really intrigued by your race and will try and keep an eye on your website. Good luck!

b

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatibuck View Post
    Not that you'll need the extra space now, but possibly . . . could you use one of those internal corner frame bags (mentioned earlier but dismissed because of the water bottles) upside down between the seat post and top tube? This would give you a tad-bit of storage to that your larger packs could hold something essential.

I'm really intrigued by your race and will try and keep an eye on your website. Good luck!

b
    For sure...you have all made me take a step back and look at how I'm carrying everything. I can't afford to waste any space. I'm trying to find the right balance between using space the right way so that bike handling isn't compromised.

Just got my Shenandoah UQ from JRB today. That free shipping was Captain Crazy fast!! Unfortunately there is a problem. The blasted rain wont stop so I can set it up and get it all adjusted.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverfever View Post
    Just got my Shenandoah UQ from JRB today. That free shipping was Captain Crazy fast!! Unfortunately there is a problem. The blasted rain wont stop so I can set it up and get it all adjusted.
    There's an opportunity lurking...it sounds like an excellent opportunity to practice deploying your tarp first and then the hammock under the protection of the tarp. You won't always have ideal weather when you're 'on the trail', and it's better to work the kinks out of your technique when you're at home than to learn by mistakes in the field.

Glad you got the quilt. Is the packed size indeed going to suit your packing needs more appropriately than the pad?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Excellent points sparrow. However, in order to do that the tarp would need to be on its line correct? I'd hang that first and go about hanging the hammock separately? I haven't set mine up like that yet but am going to so that I can use the snake skins on the tarp only.

Initial impressions of the UQ are good. When in the stuff sack provided by JRB, it's pretty big (16x8ish). I put it in an extra small compression sack and I got it down to about 9x5ish. It could actually go much smaller but I ran out of strap on the compression sack. I am able to fit the hammock, sleeping bag and UQ in my front handlebar bag though and that I like lots. I'll post pics later.

Was going to sleep in it tonight but I might wait until tomorrow.

Well I got to use the UQ last night and I must say, it was night and day difference. Literally. Zero cold spots. So much more comfortable inside since I didn't have to wrestle with a pad all night.

Of course...I couldn't leave well enough alone. I got greedy yesterday afternoon and wondered if I could get by with an emergency bivy inside instead of my down top quilt. At 2 a.m. I woke up and wasn't cold up top but was amazed at how wet the inside of the bivy was from condensation. Last night was pretty warm but I think I'd be in trouble if I was up around 11,000' with a storm kickin up and woke up wet like that. So...tonight I will do what I probably should have done last night and that's sleep with the UQ and my down bag. I'm positive it will give the best nights sleep.

More tomorrow.

Hopefully other newbs will stumble upon this thread when searching for an answer to a question that I'm sure pops up at least 2x a week on here.

I slept wonderfully last night in the hammock with a 45 degree bag (unzipped and used as a top quilt) and my Shenandoah UQ. I would recommend the UQ to anyone having issues with staying warm or comfortable. Thanks again guys for all the help.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What were the temps last night? Looks like a nice setup you have there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast