Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ramblin...the designer of my bags actually wanted me to run a full frame bag but it meant that I would lose my bottles. I gotta have those. I'm not so sure a triangle bag would fit either as that top tube really slopes and I doubt I'd be able to get the seat tube bottle out but it's another thing to look into. I think you're absolutely right when you talk about the details being in the packing. Everything should be in a particular place for a reason.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    water purification is chemical. That's a no brainer. Don't even think about filters cause you will lose too much space to the cannister. Slurp your camelback down to where it will fit in a standard water bottle. Fill your camelback and apply the tablets. By the time you are done with the water in the bottle your camelback will be drinkable. don't worry about purifying the water you cook with. If you boil it you'll purify it anyway.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

That's what I have been using BUT...(I know tihs will sound strange/paranoid) the bottles that I use are for liquid meals and they get nasty dirty. I'd love to clean the bottles after each use (every 5 hours) but won't I get sick by washing them out in a creek even if I fill them again with iodine treated water?

The local outdoor store was pushing the MSR Miox on me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    gotcha......
    first DON"T use iodine. Use aquamira or a similar product. Iodine sucks. How often are you rolling through a populated area? Can you wash them out in a rest area? At $8 for a for a pack of 24 treatments compared to $139.00 for the Miox with the same dwell times seems like a no brainer to me. Don't get me wrong... MSR makes some good products and I am sure there is a use and market for their system. But the aquamira pills take less room and add less weight and don't need batteries. You know?

Are you gonna carry diaper wipes? I would suggest you do anyway. But you might want to throw some extras in for wiping off the water bottles. Or... learn to drink from a somewhat dirty liquid meal bottle. To quote Ursala the sea witch from A Little Mermaid... "Life's full of tough choices... is'n it?"

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    I would put the pad on one of the tubes on your bike frame if you go with a pad. But the most packable solution is a down underquilt like Grizz mentioned. Also the most expensive. Good luck!

During the first few days I will roll through Frisco, Leadville and Buena Vista. After that it's pretty isolated. With the Aquamira...can I get water from stagnant sources or does it have to be running?

I actually am taking baby wipes because I don't want to have to deal with any more saddle sores than necessary.

I'm afraid the UQ isn't going to be an option for me for this race. JRB's summer quilt is right at 150 bones and I simply can't do it now.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    best not use stagnant sources for anything if avoidable.

Can you sew? Or does someone who can owe you a favor? Sportman's Guide makes a 50 F rectangular sleeping bag that lots of folks have modified into a synth UQ. The bag is about $25 and it packs down into about the size of a softball. I have one I made. But... well I kind of need it... there are directions for doing the mod on this forum. Took me about 2 hours to do it and I am not a fast seamster. It would be better than nothing.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Ya know...I wondered about making an UQ when I saw the pics on JRB. Here's a stupid question: When it's attached to the hammock...how do you get in? I'm guessing you just work your way in from the one end right?

For the temps I've said...do you think I'd need a top quilt or sleeping bag with the UQ?

Do you have a link for the write up? A quick search found stuff on SG but no DIY UQ.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This thread has really wandered all over the place, as threads tend to do. I hope that in making a plethora of suggestions we all aren't confusing riverfever by tossing out too many options.

riverfever - Given your budgetary constraints, and given your desire not to make major changes to your gear list so close to the trip, I would work on using a pad for this trip. Find a way to carry a shortened WM pad, either on your back or secured to the bike somehow. Then, as your experience and budget allows, you might could later switch to the underquilt of your choosing. I say that because underquilts do hvae a bit of a learning curve, and it might be best to take your time with that.

Just a suggestion.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    basically with a Hennessy you just shove the thing out of the way and climb in the bottom, ubnless you have the time and money to send the hammock out to ZQ for the zipper mod... which you probably don't have time for. I attach the foot end with shock cord so it moves back into position.

The over quilt is a question I can't answer. My gut says yes but the only real way to find out is to do it. _I_ personally would need a top quilt. I was in those temps with a fleece blanket and my UQ and froze my buns.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast