Hammock
    Henennesy Safari Asym Classic
    Insulation
    TBD!
    Suspension
    Hennessy Stock

Defect in my Safari?

Hey folks,

I got my Safari about a week ago, and in that time I've hung it twice, and probably gotten into/out of it about half a dozen times. I was experimenting with different hang heights, tensions on the suspension, etc last night when I noticed this:

It looks like the nylon is coming away from the seam at the base of the Velcro area. When my weight isn't on it, it looks fine, but once I get in it stretches and pulls away from the seam. For the record, I haven't bounced into it or done anything that would put undue stress on it, and I only weigh about 185lbs.

I didn't buy it directly from Hennessy, so I'm assuming I should talk with the people I bought it from first?

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    send Hennessey an Email with the pic and they'll probably send you another one!!!
    good luck
    FRED

Hammock
    Insulation
    TBD!
    Suspension
    Hennessy Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    send Hennessey an Email with the pic and they'll probably send you another one!!!
    good luck
    FRED
    Thanks! I purchased it new from a different vendor online. I sent them an email about it, so I'm just waiting to hear back. If I don't hear anything within 24-48 hours, I'll give Hennessy a call.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Had and have the same exact issue with my Exped. Called Hennessy directly and after a few moments (the person on the line did not seem able to give me an answer) she asked for my number so I could be called back. Half hour later, Tom Hennessy himself called and we discussed the issue. He told me that it was rather normal, the stitching holes were simply stretching a little under pressure but nothing to worry about. And then we talked for another half hour. It did not fully alleviate my fears but he did say they still have a warranty and I could send it in.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Insulation
    TBD!
    Suspension
    Hennessy Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Had and have the same exact issue with my Exped. Called Hennessy directly and after a few moments (the person on the line did not seem able to give me an answer) she asked for my number so I could be called back. Half hour later, Tom Hennessy himself called and we discussed the issue. He told me that it was rather normal, the stitching holes were simply stretching a little under pressure but nothing to worry about. And then we talked for another half hour. It did not fully alleviate my fears but he did say they still have a warranty and I could send it in.
    Dragon - Did you send it back or just put up with it? I would agree that it's just stretching now, but it makes me nervous that it will eventually rip. It also effectively creates an entry way for bugs. I'm sure with a sleeping bag and a pad in there it's not a big deal, but I also paid good money for it and expect a certain level of quality...

Hennessy's website says it takes about 30 days to repair...can anyone speak to that? Is it longer? Shorter?

Images
    If u bought it new, and it has hardly been used, I'd think they would just swap it out for a new one.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I can tell you that Tom told me that it was not defective and he would not take it back. I actually asked for a replacement for piece of mind and he told me he would not.

His finally advice was to simply use some silicone to cover it.

Very genial man. really nice to speak to but would not take it back (i ordered from the site itself).
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

- Bob Marley

Hammock
    Insulation
    TBD!
    Suspension
    Hennessy Stock
    Thanks Dragon. That seems odd that Tom would recommend sealing it w/ silicon. Wouldn't that completely void the warranty? Did you do anything to that area to fix it? Or did you just leave it be?

A quick update: I spoke with ImagineGear (the place I got it from), and they referred me to Hennessy (after talking with them). I called them and they asked me to send a photo over, so I sent them the same one I've posed here. Let's hope they come back with some good news. I went with HH because they have a decent reputation and seem to be a quality starting point for a beginner.

If they say they're not going to cover it, I'll probably just go for broke and do a zipper mod, add whoopies, and reinforce that area as well. I doubt ImagineGear would swap it if HH says that it's not an issue...

Hammock
    Insulation
    TBD!
    Suspension
    Hennessy Stock
    Annnnd I just heard back.

Per the folks at Hennessy:

- They don't consider it a defect as it's not really broken, it's just stretching on one axis of the nylon weave.
    - It's pretty common among the bottom entry hammocks as that area is subject to a ton of stress.
    - If they replaced it, odds are my replacement would do that too
    - They don't foresee it getting worse (coming apart) and if it did they'd replace it under warranty.
    - They said i could fill it with seam sealer to close the holes, and it wouldn't void the warranty...

So I guess that's it. I'm not happy about it, but it's clear they know about it and that it isn't an issue. They were very polite and fast to respond as well. I guess for now I'll just ignore it, and follow up with them if it gets worse.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Sounds familiar!

Not much help but it has not gotten worse since I have noticed it. I figure I will re-enforce it as soon as I do start to see it having a problem.

- Bob Marley

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast