Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops

(CPOL) Cost per ounce lost

My Superfly weights: 19oz. The HG cuben winter weight 6.5oz.
    My Superfly costs: $130. The HG cuben costs $299.

Difference in weight: 12.5oz
    Difference in cost: $169

Cost per ounce lost(CPOL): $13.52

This is a simple formula I use to calculate whether or not something is worth it to me personally. To put it in perspective the CPOL for my Hammock/Tarp vs Tent is $1.07. The biggest CPOL I bought was TQ and UQ which was a crazy $8.35 CPOL.

Until the cuben gets in the area of 5-7 I dont think Ill ever have one.

What's your CPOL limit? I am curious to also see whats the most you have ever spent for an ounce lost?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I guess I don't have a CPOL limit.
    If I actually thought about gear purchases in those terms, I'd probably still be carrying sil tarps. If it is worth it to me, I buy it. More preference than budget since I can always skip a couple of purchased lunches a week to save up for the next I-gotta-have-it purchase.

Not a bad idea though. Might make me pause a little more often.
    Trust nobody!

My problem is that I can rationalize pretty much anything to myself and then live on bread and water until I can afford it.

Weight isn't a great concern for gear I use, but durability and performance are. There are limits however. For example, I always ask my self if I deserve that object and will I be using it to it's full potential and to my fullest satisfaction.

I believe you call it Need vs. Want in America.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    I kind of rationalize it in total ounces lost per item bought. So like you said, that CF tarp is much more expensive, but a huge weight savings. Lucky for me I can't afford it, but a CF tarp is next on my list and one of the last things to truly dial in my setup. I start with things I can afford, like cook kits. My total weight cook kit is under 2.5oz (without fuel) and cost less than most Ti pots by themselves.
    Pass the Apple Pie

That kind of information is information I usually don't want to know. Long range target shooting is one of my too expensive hobbies. Once I bought a new gun that cost 2X what my previous gun cost. It took me two years to shoot it as well as the cheaper one, and I am not sure it shoots any better than the cheaper one. Sometimes, for me, ignorance is bliss.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    My Superfly weights: 19oz. The HG cuben winter weight 6.5oz.
    My Superfly costs: $130. The HG cuben costs $299.

Difference in weight: 12.5oz
    Difference in cost: $169

Cost per ounce lost(CPOL): $13.52
    $23.92 is what i would calculate the cost per ounce lost. You could bring this down by selling the superfly. Say for 100+shipping, this would make your cpol $15.92. If you didn't already have the superfly I would agree with your calculations.

I feel the way I calculated is a more fair representation. If you don't have a tarp the cost per once lost would be less because you are only including the difference in price (superfly vs cuben). If you own a tarp then the difference in price from something you already own and the new item is the entire price of the new item making the cpol much higher. It's another case of where the, "buy nice or buy twice" motto rings true and saves you in the long run.
    Last edited by packeagle; 03-23-2012 at 12:41.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    I'm so bad at match that looks like a different language to me. I'm with Angus - I'd rather not know.

I look at it this way.. if I have double items IE 2 hammocks & tarp. I can always bring a friend to the dark side.

cool calculation - might be helpful for many!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    My Father-in-law is a retired professor of economics and statistics--he usually bases his calculations on cost/use. In other words, its fine to pay a steep price for something that is going to get lots of use and will last for a good while. One has to use the item frequently to warrant the corresponding expense. In terms of cost it is a good way to approach things.
    On the other hand, there is a cost in physical exertion and pleasure when one is carrying too much weight. That calculation is based solely on one's personal preference, and varies greatly from one individual to the next.
    So the question of how light to go is connected to how much it lightens your wallet as well.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    As a response to op's question. I try to figure out where my money is best spent on reducing overall pack weight and increasing comfort and functionality, but for me it's not a mathematical calculation.

I will say that I am in the 10-15 dollar range for the time being.

There are many other factors to be calculated into an informed purchase. Examples would be durability, packed size, ease of use, and comfort. A 2' wide hammock would be cheap and light, but it wouldn't be comfortable. Its all a game of compromise when selecting gear, cost and weight are only two factors.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I calculate the CPOL. If I already have an item, I approach it like packeagle.

However, I generally use it to decide between two alternatives to buy - not whether to buy or not to buy.

Years ago when I decided to first lighten up, I was spending a bit less than $10/oz. Over time, the law of diminishing returns sets in. I'm now trying to stay under $30/oz. I'm shaving grams now!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast