Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm close to buying my first and was curious about something

I'm 6'3 265lbs.... could I get away with a Explorer Ultralight? The specs say 7' 250lbs and I'm concerned that I may be too heavy.

I know the Deluxe looks to be a better fit for me, but that's going to be almost as much weight as my tent, plus it's currently on backorder and I'm leaving in 5 weeks for my hike.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Think you're to heavy bud. I'm the same height and 240 and when I called and spoke with hh they were concerned about my weight and that hammock choice. I ended up getting the explorer and was never happy. I've since switched to blackbirds, you'd probably be good with his 1.1 double. It's a little more but I thought it was money well spent.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I'm 6'0" 260lbs. I have a wbbb 1.1oz dbl layer. It holds my weight, but I found my explorer deluxe a bit more comfy. The henessy explorer ul is a 70d. I think that I would trust it. I can't say it will hold for sure, though. The explorer deluxe was to heavy a hammock for the gram weenie in me so I prefer to sacrifice comfort for weight reduction and side zip. Ymmv hyoh.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    Think you're to heavy bud. I'm the same height and 240 and when I called and spoke with hh they were concerned about my weight and that hammock choice. I ended up getting the explorer and was never happy. I've since switched to blackbirds, you'd probably be good with his 1.1 double. It's a little more but I thought it was money well spent.
    Well they told me the same thing (of course for legal reasons I'm sure they can't say anything different) but I was hoping for some end user experience. I'll check out blackbirds and see what they have to offer, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    I'm 6'0" 260lbs. I have a wbbb 1.1oz dbl layer. It holds my weight, but I found my explorer deluxe a bit more comfy. The henessy explorer ul is a 70d. I think that I would trust it. I can't say it will hold for sure, though. The explorer deluxe was to heavy a hammock for the gram weenie in me so I prefer to sacrifice comfort for weight reduction and side zip. Ymmv hyoh.
    Well that's my complaint with the Explorer Deluxe, it's almost as heavy as my 3 man tent. I haven't had a chance to really checkout the warbonnets yet but I'll see what they have to offer. I just started with Hennessy because that's what my friend had (and to be fair, I got in his explorer UL but just for a second)

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I don't know any reason it wouldn't work.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not to hijack the thread, but...

They list the scout for anyone under 5'10 and 150. I am well under the height restrictions at 5'6, but a tad over the weight limit at 160. How hard of a limit should those weight limits be taken at?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    It's a good bet that they slightly underestimate that rating. The other thought though is that you always run a risk when you exceed posted safety limits.

Doing this would be a "hang at your own risk" kind of thing...probably not something anyone could give you real solid advice on. It's generally better to make sure that you're operating within the vendor's specified limitations.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    It's a good bet that they slightly underestimate that rating. The other thought though is that you always run a risk when you exceed posted safety limits.

Doing this would be a "hang at your own risk" kind of thing...probably not something anyone could give you real solid advice on. It's generally better to make sure that you're operating within the vendor's specified limitations.
    Very true. I also started thinking after I posted this that going with a bit bigger hammock would also give me more room, and therefore more comfort.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I remember reading here somewhere that a member either had the suspension changed by HH or found out it was an option after she had bought a hammock for her husband. But my memory hasn't helped me find it so it may have made it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast