Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing

Starting my DIY hammock tomorrow and need a little help.

How important is it that I have a structural ridge line?

I'm 6'2" so I'm thinking a finished length of 11ft, is this good?

If I use a ridgeline assuming an 11ft hammock length what length should I make the ridgeline?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 03-23-2012 at 19:41.
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    A structural ridgeline can be helpful in making sure you get the same "feel" in the hammock every time. It is not necessary though.

11' feet long for a 6'2" height is fine. As important---if not more important---is the width of the hammock. If this is your first DIY hammock I'd recommend you stick rolled hems on the edges of whatever you have---probably 60-64 wide. A wider hammock makes it easier to find the sweet spot on the diagonal.

The oft-quoted rule of thumb around here is that the ridge-line be 83% of the hammock length, for 11' that's 109.5". Me, I'd take that as a starting point with a ridgeline whose length can be adjusted. If the rule of thumb doesn't work for you, tinker a bit.

good luck and have fun making this!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks very much Grizz!!!
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    If you start without one, It's usually not too much trouble to add one later, though bug net can make this "good fun" depending how its attached.

Dan.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The oft-quoted rule of thumb around here is that the ridge-line be 83% of the hammock length, for 11' that's 109.5".
    I've been thinking about that rule and what I've been thinking about about it is "does it it apply to the raw length, hemmed lenght or the length of the body between the suspension points?" (what the length of the ridgeline really relates to). I've always applied the rule based hemmed body length, not reducing for whats taken up outside the suspension. Is this what everyone else is doing?

Granted thats just a couple inches a side but at 83% it would count. I know its a rule of thumb and i am overthinking it but I'm an engineer and can't help myself.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    WL "Tadpole"
    Suspension
    diy whoopie sling
    Images
    i am 6ft tall, with a 9ft hammock, and i have an 80-82in ridgeline and find it comfortable. dont know if this helps.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
    I've been thinking about that rule and what I've been thinking about about it is "does it it apply to the raw length, hemmed lenght or the length of the body between the suspension points?" (what the length of the ridgeline really relates to). I've always applied the rule based hemmed body length, not reducing for whats taken up outside the suspension. Is this what everyone else is doing?

Granted thats just a couple inches a side but at 83% it would count. I know its a rule of thumb and i am overthinking it but I'm an engineer and can't help myself.
    Yes, you are over thinking it. Since there are no ASTM standards for this, we each have our own method of measuring this.

I set up the hammock, find the best hang angle and then measure the distance between the points I will attach the ridgeline to. Then I can calculate the percentage for fun. It usually works out close to 83% for a ~10' hammock and 85% or more for an 11'+ hammock.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a theory that the fabric material is a factor affecting the optimum ridgeline length. I say this because I have made two hammocks of identical dimension and found that the most comfortable ridgeline length was very different. The only variable was the fabric. One had fairly stretchy 1.5 oz/sy nylon and the other very non-stretchy 2.56 oz/sy polyester.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Heres an idea thats worked out pretty good for me: make an adjustable structural ridge line------- join it in the middle with an adjustable knot--like a prussic, taught line hitch, or a whoopie constrictor. What I really liked about this system is, you can dial it in at any time--find that sweet spot, and then mark the ridge line. As an added bonus, I made a second mark, with the hammock ridgeline pulled tight. So here's how it worked out--when I first set it up, the ridgeline was pulled tight--the suspension and ridgeline formed a straight line between the trees. Then all I had to do was slide the adjustable ridge line to the second mark, which would give me the sag i needed. Of course since its adjustable, its easy to tweak it one way or the other at any time. Anyway, just a thought--it was easy to do and worked out pretty good! I'm not saying thats the only way to do it, but it works good for me!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I have a theory that the fabric material is a factor affecting the optimum ridgeline length. I say this because I have made two hammocks of identical dimension and found that the most comfortable ridgeline length was very different. The only variable was the fabric. One had fairly stretchy 1.5 oz/sy nylon and the other very non-stretchy 2.56 oz/sy polyester.
    So which was longer?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast