Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Cinch buckles and Dutch Clip gets my vote. Someone should make ti cinch buckles.
    Yes! "someone" should!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Really, Really, REALLY Like the All-in-One Whoopie sling from whoopieslings.com. It is comparible to the buckle/rings+webbing+biner/clip option and I do believe lighter. However, it is not the cheapest option. I like them so much I swear it's the only way to hang.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I've been reading a lot in various post about "best" and "fastest". I seldom see a reference to "most versatile," which is the question I've been thinking through the most. A few weeks ago I got a WBBB with the webbing suspension. It's great in my backyard. I can see there might be times on trail, however, when I would be using larger trees, would have to use trees farther apart, etc., etc. What I've decided to do is replace the straps with whoopie slings and use the slings as tree hungers for very large or far apart trees. I know there are those who sill cringe at the weight, but I'm a canoeist and an ounce or two here or there is really fairly meaningless. I'll be out for 35 nights this May and June, however, and versatility is a must. I'm also using a single ridgeline under my tarp with twenty feet of cord at each end and using carabiner figure 9s to attach to the trees and purissics from ring loop on tarp to ridgeline to allow me to slide the tarp around on the ridgeline. Again, the carabiner 9s add a few grams, but they make things much more versatile. So, versatility is where my money is. It may add a few more seconds to the pitch and break down, and it may add a bit of weight, but it will increase the campsites and hanging possibilities I can make use of.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    As using a tarp is a good idea about 95% of the time, I consider "set-up" to mean setting up tarp and hammock. That's one reason I often use a true structural ridgeline for my tarp. It adjusts quickly with whoopie slings on each end attached to tree straps that use Dutch clips. Then the hammock attaches to the ridgeline, with no adjustment needed.
    where could I see a picture of your set-up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Suspension
    Stock WBBB straps
    There have been some great replies and I am thankful I was not really wanting to go back to sleeping on the wet ground here in the Northwest. tree size is sometimes a problem for me as well. I will just have to try the whoopie slings and Dutch clips first and experiment from there to see what is going to be best for me.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Have played with various forms of suspension and for me nothing is faster than a webbing suspension with a biner or Dutch Clip at the end. Just wrap the end of the webbing around the tree and and clip to itself. Then adjust length at the cinch buckles (or descender rings).

Weight and space are a different issue.
    QFT.

Fastest setup and takedown possible with that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    What about woopie Hooks larks head woopie sling to strap wrap strap around tree and attach woopie hook to continious loop which is wrapped round gathered end of hammock fast easy simple and only one piece of hardwear needed
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    QFT.

Fastest setup and takedown possible with that.
    What be a QFT?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    What be a QFT?
    "Quoted For Truth"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless79 View Post
    where could I see a picture of your set-up.
    Ruthless, there's a video of a winter version that uses the method of hanging the hammock from the tarp's structural ridgeline. The point of the video was to show all the layers that kept me warm, not to describe the suspension, but you can see how it connects about 5:20 in the video. For Fall camping I'd be using an insulated hammock and topquilt combo that fit in a fat tube/snakeskin that stows either in my pack or tied on horse-shoe style. It's much more compact than the rig shown in the video.

Thanks for clarifying your question. Like many of the other posters I immediately thought of quick set-up. For your before-dawn quiet takedowns, this method would also work. A separate snakeskin for the tarp packs up quickly, too. One thing I'd suggest is a whoopie sling to tree strap setup that remains permanently attached. It's nice to have all the pieces connected so nothing gets left behind in the dark. I sometimes pack my top quilt separately, in which case I have three pieces. If I leave it in the hammock, there are two. (You can leave an underquilt on your hammock so the combo functions like my insulated hammock.)

Hope this helps. Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast