DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Recommendations - Basic Hammock set-ups

My daughter an I are doing a long distance hike this summer and I think a couple of hammocks are worth trying out. I need to get 2, so cost matters times two. I am 250 lbs, 6 feet and she is about 135, 5-7. I have never cared much about bugs (former tarp backpacker), she is probably more finicky about bugs (not sure). I'm thinking about either one of the hennessy zip's for her (I have read that the std hennesy tarps are slightly small for a blowing rainstorm) and a warbonnet traveler for me. If she doesn't care so much about bugs we'll go with two travelers. I could use some advise about a good hammock tarp. I had planned to get an OES but I was unhappy to see that the company is on an extended sabbatical and much of the product isn't in stock. Other factors are that it would be nice (but not necessary) to have a tarp that could also be used for tarp camping if desired. We are lightweight but not ultralight backpackers so weight matters but I won't spend double to save 6 ounces. Anyhow, good advice on a basic set up that won't break the bank would be appreciated. I currently have a big agnes seedhouse sl 1 that weighs about 3 pounds so a new hammock and tarp will have to compete with that weightwise.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Off the top of my head my list for you two would be:
    Warbonnet Traveler x2
    For tarp I'd say to check Wilderness logics:
    Big Daddy Tarp or Tadpole Tarp
    For Bug protection I'd say go with Papa Smurf's Tulle Bug Sock

If you go with a Tadpole tarp for each of you that would cost around $320 and all together would weigh in at approximately 2.9 lbs.

You could go cheaper with a heavier tarp and maybe even with DIY hammocks & BugSock.
    Last edited by Catavarie; 03-23-2012 at 21:54.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I'd start by looking through this thread.

I'd also look at tarps from Gargoyle Gear and Wilderness Logics. There are other fine folks out there but I have tarps from both of these fine folks and they're great!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Thanks ...

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out those ideas. Both posts have gear that is new to me so they are both a great help. I was actually working on making a DIY hammock but I don't think I'll get it done on time. I did get some whoopie slings made though ... they are awesome.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Wilderness Logics Tarps

Those wilderness logics tarps look really nice for the price. I'm assuming that the dimensions given for them are the longest dimension in each direction. Do they have a diagram or something that shows the length at the shortest side? I'd like to be able to put the tarp up like a "pup tent" on the ground if there are no trees around. Hex tarps can leave your head and feet exposed in a blowing wind when set up on the ground .... of course you can't have everything when you're backpacking, but you can try.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you are going to get a Warbonnet Traveler, check out the Superfly. The "doors" fold in to close of the tarp ends so it will look like a pup tent. Because of the extra material for the doors, it is heavier but the trade off is the extra weather protection so that is something to consider.

No personal experience with Wilderness Logics but plenty of good things said about their gear and customer service.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Don't forget the Top Quilts and Under Quilts
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    There are a ton of integrated bug net hammocks. I would seriously recommend getting to a group hang to determine what you like. For "basic" bug net hammocks, I really like the Switchback. I'm a big fan of my Hennessy Deep Jungle XL (I found this length to be more comfortable then all the other models) but you've gotta pay a good bit to get it. For those not caring about bugs I've heard great things about wilderness logics...

Then there are bridges... lol. good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Cheapest setup:

Grand Trunk Ultralight Skeeter Beeter (you could go with just the GT Ultralight, but for camping I would STRONGLY recommend the bug net. It's worth the extra 40 bucks and weight)
    Tarp: Any cheapo tarp, at least 8x8 feet or so, plus cheap lines and stakes
    Top insulation: Whatever sleeping bag you already have. In summertime, I have just used my 20 degree sleeping bag which then doubles as both top and bottom insulation.
    Bottom insulation: If you're not going what I just mentioned above, then any closed cell foam mat will do - same thing you'd sleep on on the ground. Walmart sells a mat that's 24 inches wide which is much better for hammocking.

One thing that adds some expense but is, I find, well worth it, is to get whoopie slings. If you get a Grand Trunk hammock, it should come with a rope suspension. Sometimes they don't...but assuming it does, just go on Whoopieslings.com and order yourselves a pair each, plus the aluminum toggles. You can then wrap the stock suspension around the tree, use a marlinspike hitch to attach the whoopies to the ropes (the toggle holds the hitch in place....this is easier to understand if you look up pictures/videos) and the whoopies enable you to hang between further-apart trees than the stock suspension, and easily adjust the angle of your hang. I really, really recommend getting whoopie slings!

• + New Posts