Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Webbing Failure on Ring Buckle SS

I had my webbing fail on my ring buckle suspension system that I wanted to share and see if anyone else is seeing the same thing. I was using the smaller of the 2 Ed Speer webbing. I should add too that I probibly have 200-ish hangs on this webbing. I also was exceeding the weight limit by probibly 100 lbs, it was ok the first couple times.

The webbing was starting to look worn and this was going to be the last trip with it anyways. I think that most of my hangs are within the same couple feet on both ends of the hammock. The webbing was starting to show a lot of signs of wear from the ring buckles.

My thoughts are that the ring buckles caused a lot of wear to the webbing. I think given a few more hangs they would have failed anyways.

Is anyone else seeing damage to the webbing? Any thoughts on decreasing the damage to the webbing? I am thinking that this is going to be a tradeoff with this system.

As for the weekend luckily we were close to the car and I was able to hike back in the morning and get some extra webbing I had.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I had my webbing fail on my ring buckle suspension system that I wanted to share and see if anyone else is seeing the same thing. I was using the smaller of the 2 Ed Speer webbing. I should add too that I probibly have 200-ish hangs on this webbing. I also was exceeding the weight limit by probibly 100 lbs, it was ok the first couple times.

The webbing was starting to look worn and this was going to be the last trip with it anyways. I think that most of my hangs are within the same couple feet on both ends of the hammock. The webbing was starting to show a lot of signs of wear from the ring buckles.

My thoughts are that the ring buckles caused a lot of wear to the webbing. I think given a few more hangs they would have failed anyways.

Is anyone else seeing damage to the webbing? Any thoughts on decreasing the damage to the webbing? I am thinking that this is going to be a tradeoff with this system.

As for the weekend luckily we were close to the car and I was able to hike back in the morning and get some extra webbing I had.
    i use 1 inch climbing webbingneo
    the matrix has you

Images
    I guess the tradeoff might be carrying stronger webbing.
    I bet the 1" polyester strapworks would last the longest.
    That's some pretty beefy stuff!
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I went through 2 sets of webbing using Ed's polypro. It never broke but it did wear pretty easy and showed a lot of fraying and small tears. Cinch buckles seemed to be a lot harder on the webbing than ring buckles. I would recommend you next set be made from polyester. The polyester holds up much better and it's stronger for the same weight. The OWF fabric stuff is nice, but knowing how you hate camo, you'll probably want a different color. There's always the Harbor Freight ratchet straps.

You were saying that you used Ed's smaller sized webbing? What size is it?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I went through 2 sets of webbing using Ed's polypro. It never broke but it did wear pretty easy and showed a lot of fraying and small tears. Cinch buckles seemed to be a lot harder on the webbing than ring buckles. I would recommend you next set be made from polyester. The polyester haolds up much better and it stronger for the same weight.

You were saying that you used Ed's smaller sized webbing? What size is it?
    yes i noticed eds webbing wears quick with the cinch buckles on my travel hammockneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The polyester holds up much better and it's stronger for the same weight. The OWF fabric stuff is nice, but knowing how you hate camo, you'll probably want a different color. There's always the Harbor Freight ratchet straps.
    Also there is the StrapWorks Seatbelt Polyester webbing. It's thinner and lighter than their regular polyester webbing, but still very strong. I've used it for about 3 months now with cinch buckles and it's holding up well.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Thanks. I fell into using the same stuff that always worked in the past instead of moving on. Don't the poly straps stretch a little less?

Headchange, I think it was the 1.5 straps.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Polyester has very little stretch.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Also there is the StrapWorks Seatbelt Polyester webbing. It's thinner and lighter than their regular polyester webbing, but still very strong. I've used it for about 3 months now with cinch buckles and it's holding up well.
    Strapworks doesn't seem to give the breaking strength of the 1" seatbelt webbing. The 2" is 3500 lbs, the same as their 1" polyester. Would that possibly mean the 1" seatbelt webbing would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 lbs? I use the 1"poly but it's heavier than the proverbial wet log.

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Strapworks doesn't seem to give the breaking strength of the 1" seatbelt webbing. The 2" is 3500 lbs, the same as their 1" polyester. Would that possibly mean the 1" seatbelt webbing would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 lbs? I use the 1"poly but it's heavier than the proverbial wet log.
    I inquired about that when they first announced the 1" seatbelt webbing, and they responded that it was approximately 1300lbs, but would get back to me with a more specific answer. I didn't hear from them again, though.

Nonetheless, it seems to be working fine for my hanging purposes. I do inspect it for damage regularly, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast