Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

Fleece lined hammock? Has anyone tried this or have one?

I was on YouTube wasting some time and watching random videos when I came across these fleece lined hammocks. I have often wondered if this would work. When I can get my fleece to stay in place, it feels really good...but it seldom stays where I need it. Has anyone here tried sewing fleece inside of one of their hammocks? Or does anyone own one of these hammocks and could share some information with us?

Here is the link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dd-W8Lw4Bc

I would think the stretch between the two materials would work out if you sewed the fleece on correctly since fleece stretches quite well in one direction. I'm not sure if you'd want that stretch going width wise or length wise, but I was thinking probably length wise.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Looks comfortably but heavy.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    I must say that this idea looks really comfy, only seems on little bit to small side for real diagonal lay.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I started with a pad cover with fleece on one side and nylon on the other. Only way to go in my book if you are using a pad. Lining the whole hammock seems way heavy and prone to pick up crud in the fleece.

Hammock
    Tree Boat
    Tarp
    Guide
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    straps
    I have a few hammocks with fleece linings. I found a contract sewing shop that had some left over fabric that hey used it to make corporate jackets. It is a rip stop nylon with a micro fleece backing. I saw this and thought it would make a good under quilt so I bought a remnant bolt of 5ft. It made a nice under quilt, very comfy and warm. I then thought with the rip stop it would be strong enough for a full size hammock. I went back and bought the two partial bolts they had left. I got 2 full hammocks and several 3/4 under quilts from those.

I had my doubts about how well the fleece lining would hold to the rip stop. it is glued on not sewn. So far it has worked well. The hammocks are a little bulky but make great 3 season hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    For a backyard hammock I think that's a great idea. So often I just want to lay in the hammock for a while but don't want to bother with setting up underquilts. Having a hammock with a fleece lining could be the answer for mild to warm weather.

The stuff they use is really plush. Wonder who sells something like that?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    For a backyard hammock I think that's a great idea. So often I just want to lay in the hammock for a while but don't want to bother with setting up underquilts. Having a hammock with a fleece lining could be the answer for mild to warm weather.

Here ya go ... the gore-tex one looks really nice .. but it's gotta' weigh a ton ..

http://www.thehammockshop.us/cart.html
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose Climbers View Post
    I have a few hammocks with fleece linings. I found a contract sewing shop that had some left over fabric that hey used it to make corporate jackets. It is a rip stop nylon with a micro fleece backing. I saw this and thought it would make a good under quilt so I bought a remnant bolt of 5ft. It made a nice under quilt, very comfy and warm. I then thought with the rip stop it would be strong enough for a full size hammock. I went back and bought the two partial bolts they had left. I got 2 full hammocks and several 3/4 under quilts from those.

I had my doubts about how well the fleece lining would hold to the rip stop. it is glued on not sewn. So far it has worked well. The hammocks are a little bulky but make great 3 season hammocks.
    Do you have any pictures? So, you have this glued to the outside of the hammock and not the inside where you lay?

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Here ya go ... the gore-tex one looks really nice .. but it's gotta' weigh a ton ..

http://www.thehammockshop.us/cart.html
    Yea, I saw the gortex one too. Obviously I'm not looking at any of these as a hiking hammock. But car camping, or quick set up in the yard, even winter pulk, or what have you is more of my inquiry. Not to mention, I suffer from chronic CBS. When I can get my scrap piece of fleece to stay put, it does really help.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Andersons View Post
    I must say that this idea looks really comfy, only seems on little bit to small side for real diagonal lay.
    Agree, I think if you were to make one, you'd want it wide than what they have.

I was also thinking about the stretch factor of the material. If you were to use taffeta and fleece it may be a better match. (remember, this isn't a light weight related thread )

Hammock
    Tree Boat
    Tarp
    Guide
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    straps
    I will see if I can find or get a picture of the fleece lined hammock. I know we had at least 2 of the under quilts used in our geodesic dome photos. I just checked the video Highland Horde did of the dome and you can only see Nicks 3/4 fleece lined under quilt and 19 sec. Not a good look but we did have 3 used but unable to see in the video. In the geodesic dome thread (post #60) you can see one of the fleece hammocks used as a full under quilt and a 3/4 fleece lined under guilt (tan coloured). At our next hang I will try to get better pictures of the different hammocks used.

The fleece lined rip stop material was originally used to make corporate jackets with the micro fleece on the inside. It came with the fleece glued to the rip stop. I didn't hem the edge of the hammock and the fleece hasn't separated (yet). You can't feel the glue. It must have been a very thin layer of glue to not feel it.

When I set up in the yard to relax I have the fleece on the inside with me. Very warm and comfy. During the warm summer I prefer to have the fleece on the outside under the hammock ( too sweaty in summer ).

The fleece does catch stuff. I shake it out every so often.

Hammock
    Tommy Hamamca XX Grande
    Tarp
    roof over my head!
    Insulation
    sleepnbag+blankets
    Suspension
    vario stand

sweet!

If they're long enough, I'll probably get one for indoor hanging in the winter. It's hard to use a sleeping bag w/ a mayan hammock, so a fleece-lined hammock w/ blanket on top will be perfect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast