Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images

4th of July Float & Hang

I took my mother in law and son on an over nighter at our local creek on the 4th. Being that I just got back from a week of scout camping,I felt lucky to be back in the woods.Weather was light rain for most of the day,but it didnt matter since it was warm and muggy. Saw deer, herons, egrets and all the little critter you see in the woods.

Camped on a small island and it appears no one has been on since my last trip. Maintaining a fire was a challenge due to the wet wood, but we were able to maintain a small fire with almost constant supervision.

After dinner (8:45) I paddled upstream for a little smallie fishing since the rain finally quit. Landed a few decent smallies and decided to float back to the island when in the distance, I could see fire works going off. I got the rare opportunity to float down stream and watch the fire works from my yak. My son layed in his hammock and watch the show. It was great.

Upon return to the island, I had a big Walmart thing of fireworks stuff for my son.

He put on our own firework show on the bank and it was a treat to be doing something like this with my son on the 4th.

My mother in law made chocolate eclairs over the fire and they were excellent. She is a former girl scout leader and hold her own in the woods. I gave her a CC LEX a couple of years ago so she hangs like the rest of us.

I got in the mail on Thursday a HH Hex fly from Heescha and took it along with my cheapo ebay hammock. Didnt feel like bothering with the Hennessey this trip since the bugs werent an issue. Set up my rig next to the water and fell asleep to the ripple of the water. Son was using his LEX with my SG camo tarp.

The next day my son tells me there is something wrong with his yak.I look over and he is about underwater in his yak.

My son lost his drain plug and we didnt find out until he was riding on the back of his yak messing around(basically filling up the yak). We got to the bank, drained the yak, added some duct tape and we were good to go.

He routinely takes turns standing up in his yak and paddling, sitting on the front or back and paddles.

I really love the time with my son. He loves the outdoors and has plenty experience at age 12. We had some great bonding times that I would never get at home.

I added a few pictures . I hope you enjoy them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I took my mother in law and son on an over nighter at our local creek on the 4th. Being that I just got back from a week of scout camping,I felt lucky to be back in the woods.Weather was light rain for most of the day,but it didnt matter since it was warm and muggy. Saw deer, herons, egrets and all the little critter you see in the woods.

Camped on a small island and it appears no one has been on since my last trip. Maintaining a fire was a challenge due to the wet wood, but we were able to maintain a small fire with almost constant supervision.

After dinner (8:45) I paddled upstream for a little smallie fishing since the rain finally quit. Landed a few decent smallies and decided to float back to the island when in the distance, I could see fire works going off. I got the rare opportunity to float down stream and watch the fire works from my yak. My son layed in his hammock and watch the show. It was great.

Upon return to the island, I had a big Walmart thing of fireworks stuff for my son.

He put on our own firework show on the bank and it was a treat to be doing something like this with my son on the 4th.

My mother in law made chocolate eclairs over the fire and they were excellent. She is a former girl scout leader and hold her own in the woods. I gave her a CC LEX a couple of years ago so she hangs like the rest of us.

I got in the mail on Thursday a HH Hex fly from Heescha and took it along with my cheapo ebay hammock. Didnt feel like bothering with the Hennessey this trip since the bugs werent an issue. Set up my rig next to the water and fell asleep to the ripple of the water. Son was using his LEX with my SG camo tarp.

The next day my son tells me there is something wrong with his yak.I look over and he is about underwater in his yak.

My son lost his drain plug and we didnt find out until he was riding on the back of his yak messing around(basically filling up the yak). We got to the bank, drained the yak, added some duct tape and we were good to go.

He routinely takes turns standing up in his yak and paddling, sitting on the front or back and paddles.

I really love the time with my son. He loves the outdoors and has plenty experience at age 12. We had some great bonding times that I would never get at home.

I added a few pictures . I hope you enjoy them.
    great pics and report.nothin like hangin and yakin.neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    sheesh my mother-in-law would sooner kill me than go camping with me. Consider yourself blessed.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Great report. You can always make money, but can't always make time with your kids. Keep doing that. My son of 25 years is getting married this year, and he always paddles with me at least once a year. He also has found a wife that will do it with him (us) as well.

It meant so much to him to have those overnight trips when he was young. I took him on his first trip when he was four. He is in graduate school studying urban planning and environmental policy, and I really believe the time we spent together outdoors had a whole lot to do with his choices for study and his value system. They grow up fast!!!

I don't know too many fathers who see their kids grow up and say, "I wish I had spent more time at the office."

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sweet! That's what life's about. I see you're from central PA. The river you're on looks like a twin to the Chemung River which flows through Elmira NY, the town where I live. On what river were the pictures taken? We also do a lot of kayaking but mostly whitewater. For the Chemung and other flatwater rivers I usually take my canoe. It's not unlike car camping with a van.

Miguel

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Conodoguinet Creek

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Wow I though all mother-in-laws were the ground dwelling type.
    That's pretty cool. No offense to the ground dwellers among us.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Nice report. Enjoy the great times with your son - they do grow up fast. Can't get enough time with my kids no matter how much I'm with them. And get this - it was my son who prodded me to buy our first hammock last July when he returned from summer camp. He was only 11 then. Now we have 4 hammocks and have slept with sleet and 11* temps, I've started making down quilts and I have 14 yards of $1 ripstop to go with the silnylon that's waiting for a project. Ahh, the sweet addiction...

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    That is a real nice looking creek!

Only about 2-3 hour drive for us . . . . . . .(looking at calendar for next free weekend)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast