Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

4th of July at Dolly Sods WV

Spent Thursday night through Sunday morning at Dolly Sods in WV. Beautiful place even in the rain and boy did it rain practically the whole time! Camped at Red Creek Campground and our site got flooded. I now have bragging rights to hanging over a stream, unintentionally of course.

Extremely pleased with the JRB large tarp. The rain was absolutely pounding at times and it rained so much while we were there I was afraid the silnylon would have problems, but it didn't! It didn't leak anywhere. I had seam sealed the ridgeline on both sides back in April and it's nice to know that my seam sealing work also paid off.

The JRB tarp tensioners work well. This was first time I had used them and had them on all tarp tieout points. I will leave them on because they worked so well. I also put a micro grip clip on each side of the tarp to give me more "real estate" inside but found they also helped keep the tarp taunt when the silnylon stretched from being wet.

In the 2nd picture you can see the latex swatch that I used to keep the grip clips from sliding around. Seemed to work. The grip clips stayed in place, but we weren't fighting that much wind. Just rain, rain, rain!

3rd picture you can see water flooding campsite and heading straight toward my hammock! At night there was one high spot where I put my shoes beneath my hammock, but had to remove slugs each morning that had crawled into shoes!

I slept like a baby in my hammock each night. If I had been in a tent, would have worried that I'd be flooded out. I think about half of the people camped at Red Creek left on Saturday. But this left open spaces for other campers coming in.

First time I got to use my Dry Ducks jacket in stormy weather and it kept me WAAAAAY drier than my Precip jacket. Love it and it's lighter than my Precip.

All in all this weekend was a great gear testing weekend. It's given me more confidence in my hammock gear for rainy trips, especially the JRB tarp.

HC
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts