Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

4th of July at Dolly Sods WV

Spent Thursday night through Sunday morning at Dolly Sods in WV. Beautiful place even in the rain and boy did it rain practically the whole time! Camped at Red Creek Campground and our site got flooded. I now have bragging rights to hanging over a stream, unintentionally of course.

Extremely pleased with the JRB large tarp. The rain was absolutely pounding at times and it rained so much while we were there I was afraid the silnylon would have problems, but it didn't! It didn't leak anywhere. I had seam sealed the ridgeline on both sides back in April and it's nice to know that my seam sealing work also paid off.

The JRB tarp tensioners work well. This was first time I had used them and had them on all tarp tieout points. I will leave them on because they worked so well. I also put a micro grip clip on each side of the tarp to give me more "real estate" inside but found they also helped keep the tarp taunt when the silnylon stretched from being wet.

In the 2nd picture you can see the latex swatch that I used to keep the grip clips from sliding around. Seemed to work. The grip clips stayed in place, but we weren't fighting that much wind. Just rain, rain, rain!

3rd picture you can see water flooding campsite and heading straight toward my hammock! At night there was one high spot where I put my shoes beneath my hammock, but had to remove slugs each morning that had crawled into shoes!

I slept like a baby in my hammock each night. If I had been in a tent, would have worried that I'd be flooded out. I think about half of the people camped at Red Creek left on Saturday. But this left open spaces for other campers coming in.

First time I got to use my Dry Ducks jacket in stormy weather and it kept me WAAAAAY drier than my Precip jacket. Love it and it's lighter than my Precip.

All in all this weekend was a great gear testing weekend. It's given me more confidence in my hammock gear for rainy trips, especially the JRB tarp.

HC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Great report! Glad to hear of the excellent results with the JRB tarp, since I have the same one! What hammock did you have under it? were any tenters/ground dwellers with you?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I had my HH Backpacker ASym with the full & half zips. Ever since I got the zip mods it's my go-to hammock. I was worried that with all the rain I'd get water running down into the hammock from the original support lines. Thought about putting some drip lines but just wanted to see what would happen. Hammock stayed absolutely dry.

The temps at night were in the low 50's. I used my No Sniv as my underquilt and used my WM Summerlite bag as top quilt. No pad necessary. I was so warm had to take off my vest and windshirt. Slept in shorts and t-shirt. Did wear a hat some nights.

My friend JD was there with his camper and pop-up screened pavillion. He stayed in camper with his dog Sky, even though he's usually a hammocker.

We were planning to backpack a night or 2 depending on weather. He set up such a great base camp and it turned out to be so rainy that we decided just to stay in base camp and day hike here and there. But even those hikes were curtailed by the rain.

I was told by some backpackers as I was leaving on Sunday that stream crossings got quite dangerous. About a dozen kayakers turned up at the Red Creek Campground on Saturday due to weather. Water high enough for them to hike in about a mile & 1/2 to make a 2.5 hour run on Red Creek.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Great report and pics. I also love my Driducks suite. I've not had to use the pants yet.
    The jacket is just great and the price cant be beat. Also works well in cold weather to take that last bit of chill off your bones or to be used over a wearable JRB quilt.. Not the most durable material of course but any small holes that appear are taken care of with some duck tape placed on the inside of the material. Here's a great place to buy them. Great color as well. They run big in size. My mediums fit like a large.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frogg-toggs-drid...713.m153.l1262
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Spent Thursday night through Sunday morning at Dolly Sods in WV. Beautiful place even in the rain and boy did it rain practically the whole time! Camped at Red Creek Campground and our site got flooded. I now have bragging rights to hanging over a stream, unintentionally of course.

Extremely pleased with the JRB large tarp. The rain was absolutely pounding at times and it rained so much while we were there I was afraid the silnylon would have problems, but it didn't! It didn't leak anywhere. I had seam sealed the ridgeline on both sides back in April and it's nice to know that my seam sealing work also paid off.

The JRB tarp tensioners work well. This was first time I had used them and had them on all tarp tieout points. I will leave them on because they worked so well. I also put a micro grip clip on each side of the tarp to give me more "real estate" inside but found they also helped keep the tarp taunt when the silnylon stretched from being wet.

In the 2nd picture you can see the latex swatch that I used to keep the grip clips from sliding around. Seemed to work. The grip clips stayed in place, but we weren't fighting that much wind. Just rain, rain, rain!

3rd picture you can see water flooding campsite and heading straight toward my hammock! At night there was one high spot where I put my shoes beneath my hammock, but had to remove slugs each morning that had crawled into shoes!

I slept like a baby in my hammock each night. If I had been in a tent, would have worried that I'd be flooded out. I think about half of the people camped at Red Creek left on Saturday. But this left open spaces for other campers coming in.

First time I got to use my Dry Ducks jacket in stormy weather and it kept me WAAAAAY drier than my Precip jacket. Love it and it's lighter than my Precip.

All in all this weekend was a great gear testing weekend. It's given me more confidence in my hammock gear for rainy trips, especially the JRB tarp.

HC
    nice pics and reportneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Those pull outs on the tarp make quite a difference in the roominess don't they?
    BTW, are dri ducks & frog toggs the same thing?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Those pull outs on the tarp make quite a difference in the roominess don't they?
    I believe that frogg toggs was bought by driducks....or something like that.
    I do remember that Frogg Toggs had thicker material.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    HC,

Great report..... With all that rain care to comment on haw well your down UQ performed and how dry it stayed?

JD stayed in the camper .... HMMMMM.... There goes his braggin rights.

You hang girl!!!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I believe that frogg toggs was bought by driducks....or something like that.
    I do remember that Frogg Toggs had thicker material.
    If my understanding of the situation is correct, then Dri Ducks used to license Frogg Toggs' first generation of material for sale under their own brand, but they were eventually acquired by Frogg Toggs. After the acquisition, Frogg Toggs released newer (and thicker) material for their own brand, but still market and sell the original material and designs under the Dri Ducks brand.

I could be mistaken about that, but from all the current availability of products it seems to be true.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

did ya get to roam up around Bear Rocks? Or go to to Lions Head on Rocky Ridge?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast