Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Etowah UL 10x10
    Insulation
    Pad/Poncho liner
    Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    It is ready to go. The hammock can be used as shipped, the biners make it easier to use is all. To follow this line of thinking In all but the warmest times in the warmest parts of the country some form of bottom insulation is need, should he raise the price and include an under quilt as well? Or a top quilt, and then dont forget the tarp, and lines, then there is the stakes, oh and a pack to put it in Where should the line be drawn? Who should draw it? Wouldn't it be more prudent to read and ask questions BEFORE a purchase is made rather than after? I am just saying is all.
    It is sold so that you can build your kit the way you want it.
    Just incase this comes across as to harsh it is not meant that way.
    The verbage from the warbonnet website:

"The adjustable webbing suspension is basically a cinch-buckle type suspension. If you choose this suspension, you’ll get 14’ of webbing per end. Each piece has a loop sewn into one end. You’ll place carabiners (sold separately in the accessories section) in these loops so you can simply take the webbing around the tree and clip back onto itself. All length adjustments are done by adjusting the webbing at the cinch buckle. This is by far the most quick and convenient type of suspension, and by far the most popular option."

Yes, you can 'use it as shipped' but that would be going beyond what the set up instructions tells you to do, and could result in you screwing up the suspension. I wasn't insinuating that he should be including insulation or the like I was refering to the actual hammock setup, but biners are cheap (even dutchware stuff is cheap) and adding $5-$10 to the cost of the hammock and INCLUDING them just seems like a good approach to me, especially when the instructions state to use carabiners and doesn't say how to use it without them. I purchased a dutch suspension with mine so it isn't a problem for me personally, but I can see how it could be. If not include them, at least make it more apparent in more places that you will be needing them, not drilled down into the hammock suspension area, where someone might not look when going to buy a hammock.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Just carry a hammer and nails. The straps can easily be nailed to the tree. Brandon c'mon man, I didn't get any nails with my hammock.

I'm sorry, this is just crazy. I've got some carabiners I'll send you for free and quickly. Just let me know. I personally don't see the need whatsoever.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chert View Post
    The verbage from the warbonnet website:

"The adjustable webbing suspension is basically a cinch-buckle type suspension. If you choose this suspension, you’ll get 14’ of webbing per end. Each piece has a loop sewn into one end. You’ll place carabiners (sold separately in the accessories section) in these loops so you can simply take the webbing around the tree and clip back onto itself. All length adjustments are done by adjusting the webbing at the cinch buckle. This is by far the most quick and convenient type of suspension, and by far the most popular option."

Yes, you can 'use it as shipped' but that would be going beyond what the set up instructions tells you to do, and could result in you screwing up the suspension. I wasn't insinuating that he should be including insulation or the like I was refering to the actual hammock setup, but biners are cheap (even dutchware stuff is cheap) and adding $5-$10 to the cost of the hammock and INCLUDING them just seems like a good approach to me, especially when the instructions state to use carabiners and doesn't say how to use it without them. I purchased a dutch suspension with mine so it isn't a problem for me personally, but I can see how it could be. If not include them, at least make it more apparent in more places that you will be needing them, not drilled down into the hammock suspension area, where someone might not look when going to buy a hammock.
    This was my thought too. I expected to be able to take the hammock out and set it up. Since I picked the suspension I wanted, and since the recommended method is to use biners, I just assumed they were included.
    Either put the disclaimer somewhere easier to find or just add the biners and increase the cost. Or just make sure you read everything before you buy.
    I may replace the straps with whoopi slings, but I would at least like to give the set up a try as it is.
    I searched everywhere locally for biners with no luck. I could have picked up a pair at lowe's, but they weighed a ton.

I, by no means, intended this to be a rant against Warbonnet Outdoors. I am the first to acknowledge that it was MY mistake. I just wanted to let any potential new buyers know that you will need biners for this and you might as well order them when you order your hammock.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thumbs down

So, to be fair, the problem isn't one of fine print. The information is on the page about suspensions that one can get to by clicking on "More Information on Hammock Suspensions" at the bottom of the purchase page. Is there some confusion because "Shopping Cart" box doesn't include a drop down for the biner or other accessories? Sure. Not all cottage industry folk are good at web design or even writing up descriptions. Brandon has done a thorough job overall, IMO. Maybe a mod can change the thread title for you since it *is* inflammatory, and you only meant to alert other people and perhaps give nice, positive feedback to Brandon.

So now you're in this pickle, as sweeeeeet hammock and no biners. I can imagine the fustration. I understand. When I ordered my WBBB years ago, I forgot to order the backyard trees. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Perhaps a trip to a local sporting goods store and end the wait? I'd guess Brandon allows that many of us have 'biners already and so not included.
    +1 on this. Also, including the biner might also increase the shipping costs. Not that anyone would complain about that.

No friend's with biners? Perhaps, aks someone on here to send you a set (you pay shipping and/or small used biner fee). Who knows, they might even hand deliver them to you, if that's the type of white glove service your looking for. There are nice roads in WVA.

BTW- What are you going to do if you are in the woods and loose that precious biner? While waiting on the postal system to deliver the linchpin to your hammock nirvana, perhaps learn alternatives. Speers has a No-Knot system, Ray Mears has and interesting way of tying tape, and many more online solutions are at your finger tips. Heck, I just saw Mythbusters and they made rope out of duct tape for their hammocks! (not that anyone should try this at home....)

Again, I feel your pain. I am still waiting on those trees to grow.
    Last edited by Z0rst; 03-26-2012 at 15:02. Reason: bruced by others posters!! LOL
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    Just put the strap on the tree and drive 10 nails thru the strap into the tree. Should hold it just fine.

I'm kidding of course. It takes .1 seconds to unthread the straps, pass the free end of the strap around the tree and back thru the sewn loop, and re-thread the strap in the buckle. This is what I always did with my Warbonnet strap/buckle setup. Carabiners are useless once you figure this out.
    That's leave no trace camping
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
    It is ready to go. The hammock can be used as shipped, the biners make it easier to use is all. To follow this line of thinking In all but the warmest times in the warmest parts of the country some form of bottom insulation is need, should he raise the price and include an under quilt as well? Or a top quilt, and then dont forget the tarp, and lines, then there is the stakes, oh and a pack to put it in Where should the line be drawn? Who should draw it? Wouldn't it be more prudent to read and ask questions BEFORE a purchase is made rather than after? I am just saying is all.
    It is sold so that you can build your kit the way you want it.
    Just incase this comes across as to harsh it is not meant that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    Just carry a hammer and nails. The straps can easily be nailed to the tree. Brandon c'mon man, I didn't get any nails with my hammock.

I'm sorry, this is just crazy. I've got some carabiners I'll send you for free and quickly. Just let me know. I personally don't see the need whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    To be fair, the problem isn't one of fine print. The information is on the page about suspensions that one can get to by clicking on "More Information on Hammock Suspensions" at the bottom of the purchase page. Is there some confusion because "Shopping Cart" box doesn't include a drop down for the biner or other accessories? Sure. Not all cottage industry folk are good at web design or even writing up descriptions. Brandon has done a thorough job overall, IMO.

So now you're in this pickle, as sweeeeeet hammock and no biners. I can imagine the fustration. I understand. When I ordered my WBBB years ago, I forgot to order the backyard trees. What to do?

+1 on this. Also, including the biner might also increase the shipping costs.

Ask a friend. Probably someone has some biners they can lend you. Or ask someone on here to send you a set (you pay shipping and/or small used biner fee). Who knows, they might even hand deliver them to you, if that's the type of white glove service your looking for. There are nice roads in WVA.

BTW- What are you going to do if you are in the woods and loose that precious biner? While waiting on the postal system to deliver the linchpin to your hammock nirvana, perhaps learn alternatives. Speers has a No-Knot system, Ray Mears has and interesting way of tying tape, and many more online solutions are at your finger tips. Heck, I just saw Mythbusters and they made rope out of duct tape for their hammocks! (not that anyone should try this at home....)

Again, I feel your pain. I am still waiting on those trees to grow to maturity.
    WOW, is Warbonnet really this untouchable. The OP stated it was his mistake, he has looked locally, already ordered from Warbonnet, and was simply giving a heads up to others who may make the same mistake.

Why all the harsh posts? (Simply saying it isn't harsh when you see it sounds harsh yourself, doesn't take the edge away.) They really just confuse the thread from those trying to give constructive assistance.
    Last edited by Alamosa; 03-26-2012 at 15:04.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    WOW, is Warbonnet really this untouchable. The OP stated it was his mistake, he has looked locally, already ordered from Warbonnet, and was simply giving a heads up to others who may make the same mistake.

Why all the harsh posts? (Simply saying it isn't harsh when you see it sounds harsh yourself, doesn't take the edge away.) They really just confuse the thread from those trying to give constructive assistance.
    Who is doing the confusion??

1. Online forums are a funny thing... the thread isn't a time line as in a conversation. Some post's came in before the OP last post, in my case I read his last and others after I hit post. So, yes he responded to the suggestions made by others and made his point much better in the later post.

2. Some weren't harsh, some were funny. Nails in trees. LOL.

3. There is a difference between constructive criticism/assistance and non-constructive complaining. Constructive criticism is where one offers solutions as well as pointing out problems. What solutions did the OP offer in his original first post? What have you offered?

4. Many followup posters offered alternatives and solutions to the problem he found himself in, this is constructive. One poster even offered free biners. How harsh is that!

5. The title of the thread is inflammatory. Maybe a better choice would have been: "Remember: Get the Biners". Much different tone. Or maybe even posted the last email first. Very different tone.

6. I think generally there is an expectation to clear things up through email posts with the vender first and then post what has been tried to resolve the situation to make it better for others later. That would've been constructive.

7. Brendon can do no wrong?? LOL. Right. China, price increases, calf ridge, all good search terms to bust this bubble.

8. Sorry if I said anything harsh. Still waiting for my trees to grow... maybe it's making me grumpy.
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Has anyone tried pushing part of the webbing through the loop and inserting a stick to lock it in place?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Has anyone tried pushing part of the webbing through the loop and inserting a stick to lock it in place?
    That is what I did when I had a BB with straps and buckles.
    Never though of using a biner do to added weight.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post

With all due respect, I didn't quote the OP, and the solution I gave was to read and ask questions before the purchase. I didn't think my post was harsh or I wouldn't have posted it, I did however see how it could be taken that way hence the clarification.

I am not a warbonnet fan boy either, I tried his gear and while it is popular and very well made it was not for me. I just think since all of the information is there on his page the post I quoted and gave an explanation for why it may not be changed. I find it funny that the OP acknowledged his mistake and another poster suggests the hammock is not usable and the owner needs to change the way he packages things because a customer did not read and comprehend the information on the site. Yet they can find it afterwards and point out that it clearly says binder not included.

I am sorry if my solutions are not worded in a more kind and coddling way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast