Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

OK, I'm gonna give it a try.

Hello everybody!

I am getting ready to place an order and try making my own hammock. I have a sewing machine and know how to use it. I am eager to try out the hammock thing and
    figure I can order some material, make a simple gathered end hammock that will let me see if hammock camping is for me, then decide where to go from there. But I want to ask some questions here before I place an order.

I am planning to order from DIY gear supply and was going to get 4 yards of the 1.1 ounce ripstop (this will only cost me about $20) and go from there. BUT - is this too
    thin and delicate, should I really be going with the 1.9 ounce fabric (I can be careful and I weigh just under 170 pounds, and am 6 foot 1 inch tall).

With that and some tree straps (I'll probably order these, a pair 6 feet long so I can
    get nicely sewn ends), and I'll buy some 7/64 amsteel blue from the same outfit to use
    for suspension lines and ridge line (I'll probably buy 25 feet, cut 10 feet for the ridgeline and then have 2 6 foot pieces for suspension lines - no whoopee slings for now.)

I'll be trying this all out in blue sky weather here in Arizona, so I am not worrying about
    a tarp or bugnet for now -- but that will come along soon enough since I expect that
    I will like this way of camping and have some trips to the Sierra in California coming up later this summer (where bugs for sure are waiting, and you always have to be ready for rain).

Someday an underquilt, but for starters I'll go with a foam pad. I plan to go to Gossamer Gear and order one of their 39 inch wide 1/4 inch thick thinlight pads.

BUT, I am actively soliciting comments on all of the above!! Please clue me in
    and set me straight! This is just a starting point for discussion (and ultimately experimentation).

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    1.1 should be fine for you but they do also have 1.5 (if I recall ) if that will make you more comfortable. I would however re-consider the amsteel and decide to try to make whoopie slings. They are really not that difficult and a great DIY for sure. And remember that DIYgearsupply has some great tutorials for a hammock and slings and other items.

Good luck!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    1.1 will be fine at your weight.

However, since you are going to be using a pad I would recommend doing a double-layer 1.1 for convenience. Being able to stick a pad between the layers makes a big difference on the pad staying put, especially if you have rolled the pad to attach it to your pack and it wants to roll back up! Since you've stated you know how to use your sewing machine, it shouldn't be a big deal for you to stitch the layer together and few gaps for the pad. DIYgearsupply's tutorial is a good example for this and what I mostly followed for my first DIY double-layer hammock.

Also, doing the double layer will give you extra weight capacity in case someone of the larger variety wants to try out your hammock

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    1.1 should be fine for you but they do also have 1.5 (if I recall ) if that will make you more comfortable. I would however re-consider the amsteel and decide to try to make whoopie slings. They are really not that difficult and a great DIY for sure. And remember that DIYgearsupply has some great tutorials for a hammock and slings and other items.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the tip, I had overlooked the tutorials on DIYgearsupply.

And hey, what's up with the spooky avatar?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    1.1 will be fine at your weight.

However, since you are going to be using a pad I would recommend doing a double-layer 1.1 for convenience. Being able to stick a pad between the layers makes a big difference on the pad staying put...
    I highly recommend a double layer 1.1 hammock for pad use. Even more so with the GG wide pad (which I like).

The GG foam grabs your clothing and makes it difficult to position yourself.

Hammock
    DL
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    +1 on making the whoopie slings. They make it so easy to put the hammock up and the adjustability is great.....an easy DIY project. Here's a vid on making whoopies using only household items

I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

This is excellent!

Thanks StrawHat for the video. I just watched it, and this is very cool, almost not
    even a DIY project, just a notch above tying knots -- and I thought there was some
    rocket science involved in the whoopee slings.

And thanks also for the +1 on the GG pad and in a double layer 1.1
    I think you guys have sold me on this and I will order extra material and
    go this route.

I am looking ahead to times when there ain't no trees and I need to sleep
    on the ground, and that makes a pad sound like a smart idea. And I am
    glad you said what you did about pad and friction, I think that is what sold me.

I'm looking forward to this. Thanks !!

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Don't have yet
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch Buckle
    I don't think you will regret doing a double layered hammock. I just finished mine out of light weight ripstop and its sooooo comfortable ! I just cram my pillow between the layers and it stays all night regardless of my rolling around in my sleep.It lays flat enough for me to have the option to sleep on my side , stomach or back. I'm hooked! This layering will be convent for mats come cooler weather too. Another though also is that the double layers will keep skeeters from biting your bum an night too while you sleep.

• + New Posts