WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Summer Underquilt or Pad?

So do you guys use anything underneath you in the summer if you're using a lightweight topquilt? At what temp so you think I'll need something other than my hammock under me? Thanks in advance

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    75ºF is about as low as I can go before I need something under me. When using a top quilt it might need to be even a little warmer. I'm a cold sleeper.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    That's a matter of personal prefference. For myself it's about 70F* depending on the wind. I have used my MMG Shamu at that temp with it very much vented. All it was really doing was blocking the wind from the hammock directly. I will generally just sleep in my clothes with a silk liner bag over me when temps are above 70F*, but a vented 40F* UQ keeps me from getting chilled in the early morning and gives some safety factor if temps drop lower than expected.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    this is one of those .... you need to test to find out... type answer!!! If you're not able to test and find out exactly what temp you need to add an under quilt at, then just pack an under quilt and take it with you. It's always better to have it and not use than to not have it and end up sleeping cold.
    For me, I always pack a light weight summer/spring rated under quilt on all my summer hangs. There's been times when it wasn't needed but I still had it with me. But usually sometime during the night, I'd need it. I usually will have the under quilt attached to my hammock but not under me. It's over to the side so I can simply reach under and pull it and it's under me if I need it. The only time I've had to take it off the hammock because even on the side, it was to hot, was when the night time temps were at 80 degrees F (or higher).

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Only downside to the pad idea, that I can see, is when you first go to bed at night. It may be well into the 80's and if you are laying on a pad, it can be quite hot. I hate sleeping hot. The pad would get ditched only to find out that I am getting out at 3 AM to put the pad back in. Much easier to handle this situation with a summer UQ. Vent it or hang it off to the side initially and when you need more insulation, its a quick fix without having to get out of the hammock... pending on your type of hammock.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

• + New Posts