LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'd shoot hennessy CS an email and attach the photos of the tear. Be sure to reference your order number (perhaps also attach a copy of the receipt) so that they can verify that it is a recent purchase. And ask about a replacement.

I'm no expert, but it looks as if the material itself gave way, which should not happen since you are under the weight limit and often times the commercial hammock companies set the "weight limit" lower than absolutely necessary to give themselves padding from potential failure and therefore lawsuit.

It could be that they manufacturing plant used the wrong material on the hammock, which could theoretically cause such a failure to occur.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I sent HH an email and posted the pics...even referenced this thread. Tom responded and said he had never seen anything like it and thought something had chewed on it.

I asked how to proceed with fixing it or sending it in for repair and never heard back. Disappointing but a little type A repair tape and I did the repair myself without their help. I hope the Chinese made hammock doesn't fail again.

I wanted to brag on the fact that the owner responded to my email, but after I asked how I could get the problem fixed he never responded again. I am hanging in it to hut to test things out. So far a DYI job is holding...

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I would try to contact Hennessey again, and be more assertive to get a replacement. Hanging your weight in a defective hammock is not a good idea, and you will always be apprehensive when trying to get some needed rest.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I used tear aid tape to fix the hole. I slept in it last night and so far so good...

I'll spend a few nights in the backyard to test it out before using it out in the woods.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    Here are a few shots of the tear...
    Weird, never had anything like that with mine, any of my hammocks actually (have Hennessy I use primarily now, Clark, ENO, and still my old net like thing from the early 80's). That said, I can't see how something chewing on it would arrive at that, maybe a snag and a rub point of some kind, like if you had it sitting in such a way it contacted a bike tire or something.

My only thought was either it was caused by me being a big guy, or somehow there was something underneath the hammock that it was rubbing on. Neither of which seem likely, but that's all I can think of.
    I'm about 5 lb less than you now, but I've spent at least 30 or so nights in mine, ranging from soaking rain to Maryland summer humidity, weighing about 25 lb heavier than I am now. So, I wouldn't put too much into the "big guy" theory.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    That is crazy, I have never seen a tear like that

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    Here are a few shots of the tear...

I am not trying to "fake" a warranty claim at all. I really have no idea how it got there, and did not notice it until packing up. My only thought was either it was caused by me being a big guy, or somehow there was something underneath the hammock that it was rubbing on. Neither of which seem likely, but that's all I can think of.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57926564@N06/7021428727

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57926564@N06/6875323886
    No doubt you are not trying to fake. I ( 215 lbs) am using my HH Explorer UL for 6 years now and still have no holes or tears in the body, although one of the side pull outs did tear after several years. Def give HH a call, there customer service is excellent.

Though there is always the possibility that- after you got in and the hammock sagged- that something sticking up from the ground- thorns or a stick- could have caused a little tear which then grew with use. I have had a few close calls with such. And you might not even feel it with that blanket in there.

If it is not product defect, folks here can put you onto some good easy quick repair methods.

Edit: Oh, I see you have already contacted HH, and without a whole bunch of help. Did you buy it new from them? Your best bet is what you have done, just repair it yourself. I can't remember if Tear Aid is what folks here have used with great success or something else.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-10-2012 at 15:21.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I'm about that weight and my Explorer gets real close to the ground if I do not set it up initially a little higher to compensate. That damage looks like abrasion. Or you may have had a rat chewing on it during the night.

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I'm not sure if a thorn or something snagged it from the ground or not. I was definitely well off the ground.

The tear aid seemed to be what most people on the forum use with success and was very easy to do. I slept in it without issue after applying it. I did not buy the hammock directly from them, but from an online retailer off of eBay. That maybe why they did not follow up with my issue. In any event, it is a great product and I still enjoy it. As long as more holes don't randomly pop up!

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly by WB
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Adj. Straps
    I guess I would be a little apprehensive buying a Hennessy now. Not because they don't make good hammocks, but the fact he has received little feedback from customer service. I was actually steering a buddy their way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast