Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aluminum Rings

I don't have anything productive to add to this thread, except that I read the wilderness exchange web address as "wilderness sex change unlimited," and thought... that's a strange site, I wonder what else those rings are used for...

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Cavscout, how long did the shipping take from ordered to arrived?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Maybe 4 days. The shipped via USPS Priority. I called them after I placed my order since I used paypal just to make sure they received it and it was being processed. They shipped it the next day.

Took the hammock out this past weekend and hung in it all afternoon, the rings worked great.

Hammock
    HH ULBP or Claytor Exp
    Tarp
    Big Claytor
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    rings & things
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Ay, but a True Scot will nae pay $2.75 each when he can get the same thing for $2.10.

McGrizz
    Is there a one stop shop online to get the rings, webbing for straps and spectra cord all from the same place to save a little on the shipping? I'd like to rig my HH like Just Jeff's hanging in the link below but since I'm a noob and all I want to buy the right stuff from the same place. Maybe that's not possible. I've got the caribiner already but need the cord, webbing and rings.

Thanks!

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If weight is not an essential concern, (read you are not a gram weenie) there are welded steel rings that will do the job nicely. Locally I can pick them up for between $.78 and $1.09 depending on the store I go to. They are fron National Hardware and rated for SWL 300#. I have used locally purchased webbing but have had mixed results. The one source I would consider locally would be rated cam straps or such. They use a high SWL webbing. But again gram weenies are going into shock at the very thought of the them. I do not have a local source for the high tensile ropes so I have to ge elsewhere for those. You will note... I am _not_ a gram weenie.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Is there a one stop shop online to get the rings, webbing for straps and spectra cord all from the same place to save a little on the shipping? I'd like to rig my HH like Just Jeff's hanging in the link below but since I'm a noob and all I want to buy the right stuff from the same place. Maybe that's not possible. I've got the caribiner already but need the cord, webbing and rings.

Thanks!

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html
    save a lot on shipping, actually. But I think your problem is over-constrained. Rings are typically available from places that sell climbing gear. They have webbing but it's nylon because you really really want stretch when you come to the end of the line in a fall

Same with any kind of cord. The stuff I buy I get from places that mostly sell stuff for sailing. Rings and webbing just aren't part of that picture usually.

I think some people have found polyester straps at retail places like Harbor Freight. Lemme see, yup. So maybe you can save on shipping for that if you can find a walk-in store.

Maybe a strategy would be to do an internet search looking for who sells SMC rings, and on those hits see if they also sell strong cord that isn't nylon.

Grizz

Hammock
    HH ULBP or Claytor Exp
    Tarp
    Big Claytor
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    rings & things
    Thanks Grizz. I've tried a few searches and could not seem to find a place that sells all three. Your explanation is consistent with what I was thinking. These are components are just different enough that a specialty supplier won;t carry all three.

The ring idea is a great one and after my initial "real" hang last week in the dark while it was raining - as opposed to sunny back yard testing - I can see why folks want this type of setup.

Hammock
    HH ULBP or Claytor Exp
    Tarp
    Big Claytor
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    rings & things
    This stuff is 900# rated, non stretch and is $0.17 per foot. Strong enough? 30 feet is $5.10 plus shipping of $2.77 for US mail. They have other more expensive shipping available but I'm not in that big of a hurry. The $2.10 rings are $7.00 to ship. The AirCore plus is the pricy stuff at about $40 for a 50 foot spool.

http://www.strapworks.com/Heavyweigh...ene_p/hwp1.htm

Heavyweight polypro webbing is our most popular webbing, by far. It has low stretch, especially when wet, good strength ratio (900 lb. test), and is available in lots of great colors. Its uses include tie down straps, bag and backpack straps, leashes, leads, collars, belts, and much more. Our heavyweight line is available in 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1-1/2 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch and 4 inch. Combined with our metal or plastic hardware, you can do virtually anything you want. All our webbing is sold by the foot. We offer discounts only for 300 feet or more of the same color.
    Last edited by Memphis; 08-20-2008 at 08:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234