Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will my tent pad work?

I'm very new to hanging, in fact, I've never done it and my first hammock is shipping right now. It is a Claytor Jungle Hammock

There's no way I can afford an underquilt at this moment, so I'm looking to a pad. I plan to have my sleeping bag with me in the hammock, it's a 30 degree down bag.

I have an REI litecore 1.5 self inflating pad. It is 20" at the shoulder, and then mummy cut at the feet. Will this be enough coverage? Should I instead be looking to a closed cell pad? I think the thermarest ridgerest is available in a wide version at 25" If I went with the ridgerest, would I want the standard or deluxe? I'm looking for summer camping for now, but I do tend to get cold at night.

Thanks!

IMO, get a very wide pad from oware or gossamer gear, or a SPE
    http://shop.bivysack.com/category.sc...2?categoryId=3
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...thinlight.html
    (wide one!)

I'm good to 45 or so (maybe less) with just the oware pad and some down on top (use your bag as a quilt)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Your current pad should fit into the pad sleeve of the Claytor. Try that out first. If you find you need a wider pad, you can then look at a CCF.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    im not a big guy and the skimpy 20" pad is too small for even me. Its better to have extra shoulder coverage IMO. GOssamer Gear sells a 40" pad that you can customize for your needs. Mine is cut 25" and that is monumentally more comfortable. YMMV.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    The pad should be fine if you stay on it. If you have trouble rolling off of it, try getting an el cheapo Wally World blue foam pad, cut it in half, and lay the two pieces crosswise at the shoulders and hips below your pad (or maybe instead in the summer). The Claytor has a pad sleeve, so the pads themselves shouldn't move around much.

Hammock
    HH with ZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Del w/doors
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Stick with the solid CCF pads. The voids in the Thermarest pads will decrease the insulating factor. The blue CCF pads from REI are 24" wide, weigh less than a Thermarest and cost less too. You can use this with your inflatable pad and a Speer Pad Extender but pads will have to be cut to 20".
    Last edited by Little Weasel; 07-09-2008 at 15:29.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    The pad should be fine if you stay on it. If you have trouble rolling off of it, try getting an el cheapo Wally World blue foam pad, cut it in half, and lay the two pieces crosswise at the shoulders and hips below your pad (or maybe instead in the summer). The Claytor has a pad sleeve, so the pads themselves shouldn't move around much.
    That's exactly what I did. They cover me shoulder to shoulder and though I do get a bit of a gap right in the center unless I over lap them before getting the hammock.

I bought a GG and cut it in half - one piece for me and one for my son - for the cool summer nights because I don't need the blue cfc in the summer.

so with these extended DYI pads how hard is it to carry on a internal frame pack? I now have a Thermarest pro-lite 3 that fits inside my pack so with all these wider pads and the modifications does it present a problem with carrying them?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Cant get my 3.5" thick 25" wide REI self inflating pad to sit right in my ENO doublenest. It will only fit if I lay it parallel the hammock which leaves me in a very unflat postion. Any suggestions? I am guessing I need a thinner pad

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Cant get my 3.5" thick 25" wide REI self inflating pad to sit right in my ENO doublenest. It will only fit if I lay it parallel the hammock which leaves me in a very unflat postion. Any suggestions? I am guessing I need a thinner pad
    Not all sure this will help, but you ought at least to try it with your pad only partially inflated.

That's a big mat!

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast