Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

4/27 to 30/2012, USA, FL, Gainesville: G^3 Mk 2

The Greater Gainesville Gathering (G3) Mark 2 is upon us!

It's coming time to get out into the piney woods once again, and the Longleaf Flatwoods Reserve just outside of Gainesville is definitely piney! I've reserved the weekend of Friday 4/27 to Monday 4/30.

I plan on riding in from Gainesville again on the bike (the site is about two miles off of the Hawthorne Trail, a paved Rails-to-Trails conversion and about ten miles, total, from the Gainesville trail head); but this can be a car-camping weekend, a biking weekend, or a hiking weekend depending on your personal preference. Let me know here or via PM if you're wanting to do anything but drive up, and we can work out the details.

Last Time, Duffy, Johnny Walker, ofceb, and I had a blast! We got lost orienteering, had fun laughing at my bear-bagging, marveled at each other's gear, and generally had an all-around good time.

This time, I think some hiking in the Prairie Creek Preserve, just off of the Hawthorne trail (about two miles from the campsite) and containing about seven miles of trails would be nice. That, or if anyone is interested, an out-and-back ride to Hawthorne could be put together easily.

Another possibility is setting up an orienteering course in the Flatwoods Reserve; Duffy, Johnny, and I found it a perfect setting for basic orienteering last time--even if we didn't account for declination.

Pretty much anything goes, as far as this weekend. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    This sounds like its gonna be a fun weekend. Unfortunately this is my weekend to work. I will try to get a day or two off. I'll keep you posted.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Thanks, ofceb! Let me know.

Just got the official go-ahead from the powers that be for the permit. The permit came in with a common-sense "make sure your fire is out when you're not at the campsite" reminder, and I'll be keeping an eye on burn bans for the next few weeks.

For the last few days, we've been inundated with smoke from the south and east due to the wildfires in Alachua, Putnam, and Marion counties. So, it'll definitely behoove me to keep an eye on that.

Anyway, looking forward to this one!

Images
    Theflg and I are hoping to make it out to this one. Not 100% on it yet, though. Possibly up for some biking depending on the logistics of it. I'll pm for more info on that if the scheduling firms up for us. Thanks for organizing this again!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theflb View Post
    Theflg and I are hoping to make it out to this one. Not 100% on it yet, though. Possibly up for some biking depending on the logistics of it. I'll pm for more info on that if the scheduling firms up for us. Thanks for organizing this again!
    No problem. The logistics for it would be child's play; my place is less than a mile from the trail, and there's a bike lane or a 25 MPH residential area the whole way. And it's entirely possible to drive right up to the campsite and drop off anything not needed on the bike. The only difficult part is the last two miles after leaving the trail: there's no shoulder, and it's a 60 zone. However, there is very little traffic along that road during anything other than rush hour. Even then, it's unusual to see more than one car per five minutes.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Im really going to try to make it to this hang. Work schedule permitting, Ill be there. I would definitely be down for a paynes prarie hike. Thanks for setting this up FLRider, I hope to see you there.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    It looks a lot like I can make it out that way this time! Would be arriving late Friday after my 12 hour shift but should be able to do most of the rest of the weekend.

Of course, if anyone is interested in volunteering to help out down the road a bit, the Baden-Powell Scout Reservation (in Melrose) is the location for a Service Day on that Saturday and anyone is welcome if they want to offer some Cheerful Service instead of hiking/biking/orienteering etc ...
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    eno double
    Tarp
    eno dry fly
    Insulation
    Florida Heat
    Suspension
    webbing/ whoopies
    Hey I am not familiar with this place hit me up with a site with map or something.I got ti pick up a few things buy I am down for this.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesthemmingway View Post
    Im really going to try to make it to this hang. Work schedule permitting, Ill be there. I would definitely be down for a paynes prarie hike. Thanks for setting this up FLRider, I hope to see you there.
    Good deal! I look forward to seeing you. Paynes Prairie can be reached either from the north end (right off of the Hawthorne trail, about nine miles from the site) or by driving back roads to the Bolan Bluff trail, down in Micanopy (about twelve miles).

The Prairie Creek Preserve doesn't actually open up enough to see the prairie proper; instead it's a trail that wanders from upland longleaf pine forest down to Prairie Creek through lowland mixed hardwood hammock and even some cypress swamp. It's been dry enough recently that the trail shouldn't have any standing water (heck, the creek may even be dry; it's been a couple months since I've been out there).

Quote Originally Posted by OldScout View Post
    It looks a lot like I can make it out that way this time! Would be arriving late Friday after my 12 hour shift but should be able to do most of the rest of the weekend.

Of course, if anyone is interested in volunteering to help out down the road a bit, the Baden-Powell Scout Reservation (in Melrose) is the location for a Service Day on that Saturday and anyone is welcome if they want to offer some Cheerful Service instead of hiking/biking/orienteering etc ...
    Hope to see you out there this time, OldScout! Glad to hear about the Service Day; we'll see what everyone wants to do. I should have firm plans for recreation by the week of, so...

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldeathstar View Post
    Hey I am not familiar with this place hit me up with a site with map or something.I got ti pick up a few things buy I am down for this.
    Here's the site for the place proper: http://www.sjrwmd.com/recreationguid...leafflatwoods/. Google Maps will also pull it up: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Longle...,+Florida&z=11. I can also post sites for the Hawthorne Trail and a couple of the other attractions around the area, if you want.

Also, if you need anything specific, let me know. I might have a solution lurking among my unused gear. Really looking forward to seeing you out there!

Hammock
    eno double
    Tarp
    eno dry fly
    Insulation
    Florida Heat
    Suspension
    webbing/ whoopies
    yeah. I am just needing to pick up some stuff for my pack anyway so i am doing that this weekend. umm quick question. you can pull straight up to the site? and you guys doing any hiking?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast