WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have a 21 inch dia, yellow poplar in my front yard next to house where I hang and test. And it takes a mim of 5' of tree sling,,if yu take a locked brummel loop and either thread thru your hammock end,,or loop tie it around gathered end,,then you have your 6' of whoopies to adjust for your length to hang hammock on each end. I carry but also have 8' tree slings, I normally do not carry the 8' ones but 2 pieces of amsteel 4' long each with a locked brummel loop on each end for extending my tree slings if need be, I normally use one biner per end to attach my whoopies to tree slings,,works easy and fast. that is your sketch your showing, Here is a locked brummel loop and how its made.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13328

hope this helps. If you go west, and to national parks, you will need to protect the trees moreso than in a nat. forrest or private campgrounds. They will check you out especially Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and so on, I know they will check you in CA where ever you go there,,and the trees are huge in parts of CA. Sometimes 20ft dia is non exestince and you need more depending on where your wanting to hang so be prepared. For Glacier, I use with my topo maps, satillete maps as well to show the terrain.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I understood it from the original post. It has versatility.
    There's more than one way to skin a cat and I think this cat got skinned.
    That's one of the many things I like about this forum: folks are always thinking outside the box.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    We really stress the use of tree huggers on the forum. It helps to protect the trees to disease and ware and tear... to which also keeps us keep in good graces with the parks....and to educate the parks that aren't on board yet in letting hammockers hang. Part of that education includes the use of tree huggers and assuring them that we are not damaging the trees.

Nice try. Don't get discouraged, and keep going with and improving on your idea, but please incorporate tree slaps into that idea.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by BearChaser View Post
    I believe the fixed eye end of the whoopie is larks headed to the hammock. The adjustable end has been run through the loop of the strap and the hook then buried. On the other end of a short strap he has an extender or nacro made of amsteel for larger trees. If the tree is too large for the strap, first pic, you use the nacro hooked into the hook which will run up and down the adjustable loop. Second pic, if the tree is smaller, you don't need the whoopie hook, just fix the nacro around the strap as shown. Third pic, a really large tree, you can't see the strap because its on the back side of the tree. It looks as though DT is using an extender in this configuration, the hook is attached to the extender on the left. The adjustable whoopie from the hook to the right side is wrapping around the tree to the right where its looped through the strap loop.

DT, did I pass?
    BC, you nailed it. And I believe Bubba mentioned what I had heard... You only need a strap on the back half of the tree to protect it. I would use sticks around the Amsteel if I was sleeping on that third pictures set up. I'm certainly not trying to harm any trees, just seeing if a new idea will work.
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    DT, I kinda cheated. Hope Dutch doesn't mind me posting up one of his vids.

My only concern with this setup is that when you start spreading the adjustable loop apart. If spread to far the exit of the bury may start to spread the hole apart more. As we all know, a normal whoopie setup the lines in the loop normally run parallel to each other. The hole made where the loop exits the bury isn't affected much in this configuration. When you start spreading that loop out at an angle, it could start making that hole larger. It spreads the braided fibers apart. DT, keep an eye on this and keep us informed, if nothing else PM me and let me know how its holding up.

[Edit] You may be safe with this setup as the angle you are creating is not that great and should not affect the bury hole much. But I would still keep an eye on that area from time to time.

Last edited by BearChaser; 03-29-2012 at 21:53.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Dutch is the master of the brief, concise video. This is a lot to digest. I'm gonna have to go think about it for a while.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    That's a good point about the hole on the whoopies bury. I will monitor that. I did an eight inch bury on that set. If I do it again I may want a larger bury.

Ideally, I'll find trees like shown in the first photo.

I'm also fiddling with lengths for the continuous loop to hugger. Right now I have 12 inch long loops. The nacrabiners are redundant and I may drop them.

I'd like to figure out a formula that would tell me my max span for suspension around certain diameters of trees since the Whoopie becomes part of the hugger length. Unfortunately I'm not that good at math anymore! Good ole trial and error!

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    LOL, I hear ya on the math, I'm decent at it but refuse to put my mind through that little strain.

Your bury shouldn't make a difference. What will happen, if it happens, is the hole will start to get larger spreading the braid apart, essentially making that small area of the cord thinner, if that makes sense. An eight inch bury should be plenty, course it depends a little on your weight. Being to lazy to go measure, I'm wanting to say I use a six inch bury with Dynaglide, but I'm using the whoopie hooks the other way around with my fixed eye connected to the strap loop.

One more thing, seeing how your whoopie is connected directly to your hammock keep an eye on rain water running down the line to your hammock. If the tail is coming out under the tarp, you should be fine as the water should run down the tail. If not, you might want to tie a drip line to the whoopie somewhere under the tarp for water to follow. Another slight concern is that if your whoopies are wet, make sure you leave them outside the hammocks stuff sack when packing up. They won't soak your hammock, but a set spot in the right place could bug ya a little.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by BearChaser View Post
    LOL, I hear ya on the math, I'm decent at it but refuse to put my mind through that little strain.

Your bury shouldn't make a difference. What will happen, if it happens, is the hole will start to get larger spreading the braid apart, essentially making that small area of the cord thinner, if that makes sense. An eight inch bury should be plenty, course it depends a little on your weight. Being to lazy to go measure, I'm wanting to say I use a six inch bury with Dynaglide, but I'm using the whoopie hooks the other way around with my fixed eye connected to the strap loop.

One more thing, seeing how your whoopie is connected directly to your hammock keep an eye on rain water running down the line to your hammock. If the tail is coming out under the tarp, you should be fine as the water should run down the tail. If not, you might want to tie a drip line to the whoopie somewhere under the tarp for water to follow. Another slight concern is that if your whoopies are wet, make sure you leave them outside the hammocks stuff sack when packing up. They won't soak your hammock, but a set spot in the right place could bug ya a little.
    I'm tying a larks head to a continuous loop in my Claytor clone. I was thinking the larks head may be sufficient as a water break, but I was going to monitor this as well.

My hammock stays dry because I use two double ended bishop sacks. Keeps the suspensions seperate from each other, and the hammock. Came up with these when i used straps and rings that got soaked. Serves as two end caps as well. Come to think of it... They're my water breaks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL & Traveler 1.1SL
    Tarp
    HG Hex & Superfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I got it And thanks for the pictures.
    I have never failed, I have been very Successful finding out what does Not work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12