Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB: European Underquilt

Not that other underquilts would be bad but i like the idea of supporting the 'local' economy. So far i only found the 'Underblanket' made by 'Snugpak' (e.g. http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/underblanket).

What other european based makers of underquilts do you know?

Right now i'm looking for a 3-season underquilt.. i'd expect it to work up to -5°C (23°F) and i'd like it do be as light as possible.

Try looking at UKhammocks.co.uk and see if they have anything that appeals in the quilts section. No personal connections etc but heard good of them.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    I haven't found any other European seller than UKHammocks/DDHammocks with UQ.Camping/Trekking hammocks are not very common here, due to the very limited authorized use, not to mention winter-camping. It's already surprising that there are two suppliers in the UK. Except for Scandinavia and Scotland, I don't know of any country where you are allowed to camp outside camping places and they are rarely prepared for hammocks.

US quilts are basically all cottage productions. With the limited perspectives here, you would need to find someone really motivated to start a production. My best guess would be Scandinavia, so maybe with the necessary vocabulary you may find something there.

Finally, the "local" economy has a different spirit here and I wouldn't be surprised - if you find a product - that the product actually comes from Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I haven't found any other European seller than UKHammocks/DDHammocks with UQ.Camping/Trekking hammocks are not very common here, due to the very limited authorized use, not to mention winter-camping. It's already surprising that there are two suppliers in the UK. Except for Scandinavia and Scotland, I don't know of any country where you are allowed to camp outside camping places and they are rarely prepared for hammocks.

US quilts are basically all cottage productions. With the limited perspectives here, you would need to find someone really motivated to start a production. My best guess would be Scandinavia, so maybe with the necessary vocabulary you may find something there.

Finally, the "local" economy has a different spirit here and I wouldn't be surprised - if you find a product - that the product actually comes from Asia.
    Plenty of hanging going on in the UK - lots of woodland with permission and access. BCUK, BCL and the like have many groups meeting up in woodland all over the UK.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Weekend_Warrior View Post
    lots of woodland with permission and access.
    Good to hear, looks like civilized camping is spreading. I wish this could cross the channel.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    Hi.

In Europe i'm only aware of the DD hammock/snugpack uq and ukhammocks's uq, as mentioned above.

You also have the option to use a poncho liner http://www.asmc.de/en/Camping/Sleepi...ecktarn-p.html.

I have a poncho liner and have used it down to 5-10C. No problem there. Easy to modify to an uq, no sewing needed.

I recently picked up a winter uq from Ukhammocks for colder weather use. I have only used one night (-2C) last weekend. The material, fill and sewing seems to be very good, but I still need to tune it in to stay in place during the night - thinking of quilt hooks or similar. I ordered a custom lenght of 190 cm, as the standard is 160 cm. Being 177 cm tall I find 190 cm to be a bit short and is now thinking 200 cm would be better.

I have no problems to recommend shopping with either DD/UKhammock. But the warmth down provides is really comforting...

Good luck

Harstad
    Last edited by Harstad; 03-30-2012 at 06:56. Reason: adding text and spelling errors :)
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WB RR
    Tarp
    DW Dyneema/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    EE RevX / HG Inc.
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas / Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harstad View Post
    Being 177 cm tall I find 190 cm to be a bit short and is now thinking 200 cm would be better.

I'm 193 and was thinking about 210. Should I ask for 220 (87'')
    or are you keeping your dinner warm for breakfast ?

May I ask how much UKH charged extra for the custom quilt ? I was thinking about them, but 160 is like a 3/4 to me.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I've heard good of Uk hammocks quilts too.

Unsponsored, a member on here and BCUK also makes and sells down Underquilts with a good rep.

Peter, Is that you? (I'm Teepee)
    Welcome aboard mate

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post

I'm 193 and was thinking about 210. Should I ask for 220 (87'')
    or are you keeping your dinner warm for breakfast ?

May I ask how much UKH charged extra for the custom quilt ? I was thinking about them, but 160 is like a 3/4 to me.
    190 cm flat is not 190 curved with shock cord all tightened up. That being said, it gives me cover from head to toe, but not much room to move up or down in the hammock. So I think tuning is more essential when the uq is just adequate for cover. I guess the extra length of the poncho liner have spoiled me

I don't recall the exact price, but it was not expencive! Less than p&p and customs. Send them a email and you might be positive suprised. As the uq is made after you order it all uq are custom made
    Last edited by Harstad; 03-30-2012 at 09:27. Reason: Missing info.
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Hammock
    WBBB1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    OES DL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harstad View Post
    190 cm flat is not 190 curved with shock cord all tightened up. That being said, it gives me cover from head to toe, but not much room to move up or down in the hammock. So I think tuning is more essential when the uq is just adequate for cover. I guess the extra length of the poncho liner have spoiled me
    There is no need for more than full lenght quilts. I use a 2/3 HGquilt and did not have any problems at -20 C. You can see the setup and the circumstances here;
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=47114

Wear a hat and double your socks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast