Educate me on TQ & UQs

I see everyone talking about TQ and UQ for hammocks and not much mention of sleeping bags. Do you not use a sleeping bag with a TQ and UQ? Can you use a sleeping bag instead of a TQ and UQ?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    In a hammock you need top insulation and bottom insulation.

Top insulation can be achieved in 1 of 3 ways (there are a million different variations, but these are the major methods used by most folks) -

Topquilt
    Sleeping bag
    Pod*

Bottom insulation can be achieved in 1 of 3 ways (there are a million different variations, but these are the major methods used by most folks) -

Underquilt
    Pad
    Pod*

So you can use a TQ and a UQ, a TQ and pad, a sleeping bag and a UQ, sleeping bag and a pad, or simply a pod. You can also double up on any of these elements for additional warmth.

*A pod would be either wrapping a dedicated pod around the hammock, which would take the place of a topquilt and underquilt (or add extra warmth to a TQ/sleeping bag and/or pad/UQ). You can also use a sleeping bag in this manner.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 03-30-2012 at 10:15.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    you can use a sleeping bag instead of a TQ but you would still need some insulation under you as laying on the sleeping bag will compress it and it will loose most of its insulation.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Best bet is to grab a coffee or brew and sit and read about them under the appropriate Threads..... a bunch of info to peruse there.
    In the meantime here is my contribution to your education.........
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The optimum hammock insulation setup is a top quilt and an underquilt. No sleeping bag.

That being said, a sleeping bag can be used in lieu of a top quilt. Most don't actually get inside the bag unless they were acrobats in a previous life.
    To use a bag, unzip it to within a foot or so of the bottom to leave a footbox, then use it opened as a quilt. The disadvantage is that you have a lot of needless material in your hammock with you, and if you backpack, that's extra weight.

You need bottom insulation. The sleeping bag, crushed underneath you isn't going to help. Hence the underquilt that is suspended under the hammock in all it's lofting glory.

However, a cheap, lightweight substitute for an underquilt is a closed cell foam (CCF) pad. You can sleep on this in the hammock and it will keep you warm. It won't be as comfortable as an UQ and you will probably slide off it a time or two during the night, but it will work until you decide to get an UQ. You will need at least a 24" wide (preferably 30") pad or tape two narrow ones together.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB
    I have found that sleeping bags are a pain. It's easier to move around. Especially if you have to get up and pee on a cold night. Easier to get warm again.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right.

• + New Posts