part-time hanger, need some help

Hello from Montgomery, AL. I've had my HH Expedition Asym. for close to five years but it only gets used about 5 times a year. I plan on doing some more trips this year and want to get some ideas on some upgrades. I've been doing a lot of reading on this site and I will continue to do so, but I hope you guys can give me some quick thoughts.

First, I'm using the standard hugger and lashing method with my HH. What are the popular suspension systems for HH that are easier than the lashing method that HH recommends?

Also, I have the standard polyester fly that comes with the Exp. Asym. I used to have the larger hex rainfly before I lost it and I really enjoyed the extra covered space that it provided. Before I buy another one, I'd like some recommendations on other larger flys that might be lighter, cheaper, or better in some way. If I do get a larger fly I am leaning towards the 30D sil instead of the polyester. I know that a lot of manufacturers are making flys that will work with hammocks and I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones are good.

Thanks for all the information that you guys provide on this forum and also for any advice you might have for me.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    DW:
    Welcome to HF from Gadsden. Hopefully in the next several weeks we will be having another Heart of Dixie Hang around Mt. Cheaha. It will be a great place to see different set ups and ask a lot of question. HF member aboyd is down around your area, drop him a PM and see if yall can get together to compare notes.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL & 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome from Sand Rock, Al. Good to have another bama hanger in here. I too joined recently and I love it. I just got a WBBB 1.7 that I really like and now I am looking at tarps. There are lots of decisions to make and lots of info to read here at HF. Enjoy your time here, I know I do.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    This may sound silly BUT! The cheapest tarp is a cheap tent from wally world. I have one that sleeps 8 with screen windows and a rainfly that I paid $15- for. I cut a slice in each end for the hammock straps to go through and reinforced them with some tactical nylon. Makes it nice because the dogs can sleep inside and out of the weather and bugs too.
    The Pro is that you can put all your gear inside. The Con is that it's only feasible for campground sites and takes a little while longer and a bit more thinking to set up.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Welcome from Henagar AL. Good to see Bama so well represented here.

Hammock
    down to 4 :(
    Tarp
    Size matters, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    This may sound silly BUT! The cheapest tarp is a cheap tent from wally world.
    Wow, interesting idea you gotz there Lost in Space!

Anyway, Welcome to the forum Dirty Wheels. Sounds like you have a ton more experience than I , who has only hung in my backyard so far, but is planning several trips this spring and summer.

Sounds like std lines and wrapping have been working good for you. But, if you want some changes consider checking out Youtube videos on the topic. I believe there is a sticky thread here somewhere to point you in the correct direction.

My HH has been fitted with woopie slings, mating to tree-straps via toggles. Seems to be one of the more popular way to go, judging by the forum discussions.

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1 Custom Lefty
    Tarp
    MacCat 4 season
    Insulation
    HG 0* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook kit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Dirty Wheels, from south Louisiana. For all the info you would ever need in tarps, click on forums at the top of the hammock forum home page then scroll down to the vendor and manufactures sub section. There is where you will find just about every tarp manufactured. My recimdations would be warbonnet, OES, arrowhead gear, or (the best) hammock gear and their cuben fiber tarp. Hope this helps, happy hanging!
    It's never a trip, It's always an adventure!

Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm excited about putting some new ideas into my hammock setup. Keep the info coming!

Bigbama, how do I find out about the Mt. Cheaha event?

LostinSpace, that's a crazy idea but I like it. I have a cheapo tent already that would be perfect for that and I've been looking for a way to keep the dogs under cover.

Granger, thanks for the tip on the tarp list. I hadn't found that yet.

Hammock
    Tonka Gear Gathered
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HGincubator/burrow
    Suspension
    4wheel independant
    Quote Originally Posted by LostinSpace View Post
    This may sound silly BUT! The cheapest tarp is a cheap tent from wally world. I have one that sleeps 8 with screen windows and a rainfly that I paid $15- for. I cut a slice in each end for the hammock straps to go through and reinforced them with some tactical nylon. Makes it nice because the dogs can sleep inside and out of the weather and bugs too.
    The Pro is that you can put all your gear inside. The Con is that it's only feasible for campground sites and takes a little while longer and a bit more thinking to set up.
    cool idea! may have to consider this myself...
    “Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.”
    ― Steven Wright

• + New Posts