Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suspension at home

Ok so I want to setup a test area at home, even though I do not have a hammock yet lol.

I am going to anchor to eyebolts into the joists in the basement.

How far apart should the eyebolts be?

From the eyebolts to the hammock can I use rope from the hardware store or should I get chain?

If I can get rope what should the working load be if I can find that info at home depot?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post

How far apart should the eyebolts be?

From the eyebolts to the hammock can I use rope from the hardware store or should I get chain?

If I can get rope what should the working load be if I can find that info at home depot?
    The distance will depend on your ceiling height, and how long your hammock is. So it may be best to wait till you have your hammock in hand to do any permanent anchor points. An easy way to figure it out location is to pound a nail in at one point, and then sling your hammock out to a comfortable "chair" height and appropriate sag. Place another nail at this location and take a look. DO NOT SIT IN THE HAMMOCK! This is just for reference.

Once it looks good and you think your close, anchor your eye-bolts. For a typical 8 foot ceiling, 15-18 feet apart is a good starting point. Adjust accordingly.

As far as suspension, you can use anything you will comfortable and safe with. Since your not carrying this set up chain or big rope will do. 3-5 times your actual weight is a good safety margin. You can use straps or amsteel type rope for a set up that can be packed for outdoor use.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Instead of eyebolts, I just drilled 1 inch holes in the joist. I'd use joists that are close together or ideally the same joist so the force is inline with the joist. Any rope or chain will work as long as it it rated for 4 times your weight as Gargoyle mentioned.

I just use the suspension that I use on trips for my basement. My suspension always stays with the hammock. For ease of attachment I have some continuous loops of amsteel girth hitched in the holes in the joist and a carabiner on the loop. I just connect the webbing or whoopie slings to the carabiner to set up.

The higher the joists are from the floor, the further apart the attachment points have to be if you want to have the hammock at chair height (one and a half feet). One of my early set ups I could only have a 12 foot span so for correct suspension angle I had to have the hammock fairly high. Its not crucial if you are just lounging but if you want to set up a hammock as would on a trip to test it out, then its better to have the correct distance.

I agree with gargoyle and wait until you get your hammock. I also suggest using the suspension you are going to use on a trip. Its a good way to test the suspension to see how you like it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

If I were going to use eyebolts what size would be recommended?

Does anyone know if putting holes or eyebolts in the joist would break code or be bad for the joist?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    If I were going to use eyebolts what size would be recommended?

Does anyone know if putting holes or eyebolts in the joist would break code or be bad for the joist?
    No idea bout codes. Making holes should not be too much of a problem since there are all kinds of holes for electrical. Suspending weight from a hole is another thing.

The way I figure it is my holes are in the middle of the joist and the force is not straight down but at an angle so I think breaking is a very remote possibility. They are after all the floor for the upstairs. If you are concerned, you could just drill the holes higher up.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    My eyebolts are 18'8" apart at 75" above the floor and that works well for me.

Eyebolts are 5-6" long and 1.5" outside diameter eye, 5/16" thick with a carefully selected pilot drill to have about .020" smaller diameter than the lands between the threads (just a skosh smaller than the lands for positive max thread engagement).

I have short strap with marlin spike on the eyebolts and just loop the whoopie on that when I hang. I've had a ridgeline between the eyebolts for some projects, but that's higher than I'd use outdoors.

The hammock pulls at 45 degrees from the plane of the bolt and hasn't bent or stressed the stud or marred the sheetrock from flexing. I'm about 210lbs.

At first, don't hang further up than you care to fall (couch cushions under you for comfort). Once you're comfortable with the eyebolts, do the same for any new suspension. Don't ask.

Don't worry about code if you have certificate of occupancy. Electricians drill 1" holes in studs for pulling wire all the time. Just be careful to drill in the center of the stud for best strength. You might want to reassure yourself there isn't electrical wire where you plan to drill. If your house is new enough there will be metal between the sheetrock and stud so if you hit some, move up or down several inches to avoid drilling into the wire. that would be bad to hit.
    Last edited by SteveJJ; 03-31-2012 at 10:43.

• + New Posts