Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    East Tx near Tyler is all trees and very beautiful. Central Tx LBJ park area, Austin Tx and surrounding areas are all wooded and beautiful. I lived in San Antonio & the DFW area for years.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    isnt most of texas flat and treeless and even uglyneo
    Yes, Very ugly. The low temp is usually around 80 degrees with highs in the 100's. The humidity along the coast is a constant 100 percent. It is 10 percent 5 miles inland, all the way to Colorado. There are rattle snakes in downtown Dallas and some trantula spiders that lunch on small children. Which is why we all pack our guns on our hips. I just went out for lunch and had to hit an angry longhorn over the head with my rifle. He wouldn't get out of the way of my Super-Duty Truck. I know it's a small truck for these parts, but it was still bigger than that longhorn so he should a moved. I think he was crossing the freeway to get a better look at the buffalo on the other side.
    Stay away from Texas.....
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Possible Sites

Well, right now I'm thinking of two areas for a get together. One is at Beaver's Bend Resort park at Broken Bow Lake in South East Oklahoma, and the other is in the hill country of Texas around Pedernales, Blanco or Guadalupe State Parks.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My vote would be in the Hill Country.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    FWIW, my (limited, true) experience in the Hill Country is that trees suitable for hanging are the exception rather than the rule.

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Hey Beeman, I'm in southern new mexico and would be interested in a Guadalupe State Park trip hang, that area is really cool!
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

I made a quick check with the park service at Guadalupe state park. THey have trees up to 18 or 24" diameter. But also many cedar trees and smaller live oak trees. I will be going towards Fredericksburg this fall and could check on the suitability of the area for a hammocking get together around Thanksgiving plus or minus a week.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    My vote would be in the Hill Country.
    Given that your vote is for the hill country, do you have someplace in mind that has the trees of the right size and profusion to accomodate us?

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My vote was purely selfish from a mileage standpoint.

I mentioned in a previous post the State Parks where I have hung in the past. I was only in the "walk in" or "car camp" areas, not back country or group sites. I was able to find a place for a couple of hammocks in each park without much difficulty but I have no idea as far as multiple hangers. I will keep my eyes open.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Colorado Bend SP has a great primitive camp site I think would accommodate many hangers; plus a really cool giant old Live Oak to hang out under during the day, when we aren't swimming of course. It is considered Hill Country but it is mostly river bottom and low lands.

Granger Lake is close to Taylor, Texas (Granger, Texas as well) and has arguably the best primitive camp site in Texas. I have spent MANY nights out there. about 5 mile hike in, or a short boat (small)/canoe/kayak ride from the primitive boat launch. Granger has TONS of wildlife and is one of the premier Crappy lakes in the state. Granger Lake is corp of Engineers land operated by TP&WD, no permits needed for primitive camping (no charge either). Fishing license required for fishing. Granger is typical flatland with a few low rolling hills and river bottom pecan groves.

Texas State Natural Area is just North of San Antonio, Texas; close to Bandera actually. While the regular camp sites are usually full with car campers and RVers the primitive camp sites are usually open. Permit fee is required and the best one, The Hermit Shack, is about a 6 mile hike. Mountain bikes are welcome here also. Plenty of trees for multiple hangers. TSNA is typical Texas Hill Country, rocks, cactus, Juniper Cedar, Live Oak and spectacular views!

Caddo Lake in East Texas is one of the States best kept secrets in my opinion. A lake created my the Great Madrid Earthquake it is very similar to Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee, whiach was created during the same earthquake. While it is geared more toward car camping the lake is spectacular and the steam powered paddle boat tour is awesome! Great restaurants are close, great fishing is even closer and the big Cypress trees alone are worth the drive! Caddo had Typical East Texas vegetation and topography, amnd they have a great interactive trail and wildlife center for the kids (in all of us!).

I'm game, where we going?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast