Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

clark nx250 perfected

obviously everyone has their own way of doing things, but here are two things i am stoked on that you might find worthwhile--

1) i read an old post with little fanfare from DemostiX that suggested a possible replacement for the fiberglass poles with the wire fishing kit from harbor freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-in...kit-65326.html well, i ended up getting it and, after a quick bit of trimming, this works waaay better than the chinsy poles that came with the clark. instead of each pole being composed of three short rods that seem to always fall out or catch on the hammock sleeves while installing them, i have TWO longer rods with ONE low profile connection point that THREADS into place and slides very easily. booyah.

2) i also was inspired by another hammock forum member by the name of jackleberry, who made a giant-sized black bishop bag that fits his whole entire kit in it, so your camp pops out like a prefab miracle unicorn of happy sleepytime. well, i didn't think it would be possible, since i use a large 0deg bag, z-liner insulation panels and the clark is already more material than most hammocks. i currently take the time to stuff the bag and the hammock into their individual 15l sea to summit event compression sacks. the more i think about it the more i hate the tedium of stuffing compression sacks and it can also be hard on your gear if you make it a tight fit. together, i can barely cram the two into the sleeping bag compartment of my osprey backpack. but this is what i have been doing. until now! check this shiz: http://www.backcountryedge.com/exped...tributeID=3259
    the medium size fits my whole kit and shrinks down to the exact dimensions of the sleeping bag compartment of my pack (it is more malleable than a tight packed compression sack, so you just shape it a bit by smacking it around to fit whatever space you need).

i don't claim these two tips will work for everyone, but it has effectively reduced my setup time to 30 secs and my packup time to well under 5 mins.
    Last edited by sinthome; 03-31-2012 at 01:47.

• + New Posts