Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I've found that if you take siblings camping together, they tend to entertain each other fairly well either by arguing and/or fighting or by actually playing together. (whichever seems more entertaining at the time...)

that is very very true.

Images

kids n hiking

Thanks to Scouts I have become involved in camping, hiking, and backpacking. My son loves the camping not so much the meetings. We have at least an outing a month and I have taken on a venture patrol to keep the older boys interested in scouting. We tend to do longer back packing trips and just being out of doors keeps them busy and now they have hammocks! Honestly I don't know who enjoys it more the dads or the boys. ankh

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Here are some pics of Burritto and I's hike this last weekend. He did really well, and liked swimming in the creek in his underwear. I hung him to the side and under me, and we shared the same tarp. This setup worked realy well. All he carried was fleece throw, 6' hammock, spork and snowpeak bowl, a 20oz water bottle, 2 packages of ramen noodles, 3 granola bars and a change of underwear and socks. He really handled the load really well in his Batman Backpack, and he loved using his Leki youth poles. For being 4, he did a great job, and was sad that we didn't see a bear (I was happy about that )

Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great stuff, Preacha Man. My kids have been backpacking since they were about that age as well...definitely better than most of the alternatives for kids to be interested in these days.

Here are some of the things I did when they were younger. We also do the fires, sling shots, knives, etc. that everyone does.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingWithKids.html

One of the most important things to keeping my kids interested in hiking was to adjust my hike to them. That means hiking much slower and taking time to check out the bugs, plants, rocks, or whatever catches their fancy. Kids don't focus on the goal...they focus on the now. A skill we lose somewhere along the "growing up" phase of our lives. With the hectic pace of my life, I often have a hard time focusing on the now. At first I would hike slower, but it was pretty difficult to adjust my attitude to their hike. I'd get frustrated when they weren't ready to just hike, and I wasn't as interested in the plants or rocks, etc. Hiking with kids was a whole new skill I had to learn. Once I changed my attitude, both of us enjoyed our time together a lot more.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    DIY w/ pull-outs
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Great stuff, Preacha Man. My kids have been backpacking since they were about that age as well...definitely better than most of the alternatives for kids to be interested in these days.

Here are some of the things I did when they were younger. We also do the fires, sling shots, knives, etc. that everyone does.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingWithKids.html

One of the most important things to keeping my kids interested in hiking was to adjust my hike to them. That means hiking much slower and taking time to check out the bugs, plants, rocks, or whatever catches their fancy. Kids don't focus on the goal...they focus on the now. A skill we lose somewhere along the "growing up" phase of our lives. With the hectic pace of my life, I often have a hard time focusing on the now. At first I would hike slower, but it was pretty difficult to adjust my attitude to their hike. I'd get frustrated when they weren't ready to just hike, and I wasn't as interested in the plants or rocks, etc. Hiking with kids was a whole new skill I had to learn. Once I changed my attitude, both of us enjoyed our time together a lot more.
    Some of the same skills I had to work on to take beginners backpacking too.
    Thing is, it's really improved the quality of my hikes... hiking slow & enjoying the moment
    don`t leave the CREATOR out of the creation!

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    One of the most important things to keeping my kids interested in hiking was to adjust my hike to them. That means hiking much slower and taking time to check out the bugs, plants, rocks, or whatever catches their fancy.
    Took my 2 boys out in July, my one son hiked my speed. The other, kept getting rests because he would be so far ahead.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    My son hiked 4 miles in 3 hours. Considering his short legs, I thought he was doing well. We would stop and look at fresh deer dropping, and it was then that I wished that I had some raisenettes . He really liked the Chili that we made from dehydrated vegetarian chili and instant refried beans. Momma had to give him some goodies too, seeing that he did not like my dried papaya. On the hike out he would run ahead of me and then tell me to hurry up .

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    I bring a Backpacking Bocce set. It has 9 wooden balls about the size of the Pallino that is used in normal size Bocce. Love this game and the fact you never have an even course makes it that much more fun. Every time I break it out people are like what the heck is that stupid game. And then we start to play and we have teams lined up waiting to get in on it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    I bring a Backpacking Bocce set. It has 9 wooden balls about the size of the Pallino that is used in normal size Bocce. Love this game and the fact you never have an even course makes it that much more fun. Every time I break it out people are like what the heck is that stupid game. And then we start to play and we have teams lined up waiting to get in on it.
    That's a cool idea. I only played Bocce ball for the first time this summer. Spent a fun afternoon chasing balls around a big yard, chatting with the other players.

Along those lines, frisbee golf, with the "frisbees" being those lightweight jobbies that have a wire edge and cloth body.

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    That's a cool idea. I only played Bocce ball for the first time this summer. Spent a fun afternoon chasing balls around a big yard, chatting with the other players.

Along those lines, frisbee golf, with the "frisbees" being those lightweight jobbies that have a wire edge and cloth body.

Grizz

Hahahah yeah and if you had enough folks with hammocks each persons hammock could be a very wide/ easy amateur hole. I know I have a few of those at the office that have been given out as "Hey come buy our product" swag. Sold... gonna use that for my next game option while camping. I always have some kinda home made game for camping. Google "Red Neck Golf", "Goofy Golf" or "Ladder Golf". I made one of those with Golf balls and that one is still a hit. I am always asked to bring it to BB-Q's I have even made some for folks as Christmas Presents.