WBBB 1.7 DBL, ThunderBird 1.9 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly & Sock
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I first started looking at hammocks, I was on the edge between the NX-250 vs. the WBBB 1.7 DBL. The cost of the Clarke was bothersome, but what really got me was the restocking fee.

"If you find anything you do not like about your Clark hammock, you may return it for a refund* by notifying us of your return within 14 days of purchase. A 30% re-stocking fee applies to returned items if the box has been opened. However, if the hammock arrives back to Clark Outdoor in pristine condition, Clark Outdoor will reduce the re-stocking fee as low as 10%**."

So if I didn't like the feel of the NX-250 at $430.00 I was looking at 10% to 30% ~$43.00 or possibly $129.00 for return and restock!

So...I went with the WBBB and have never looked back.
    Last edited by Cuthalion; 04-04-2012 at 10:16.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    <snip>

So if I didn't like the feel of the NX-250 at $430.00 I was looking at 10% to 30% ~$43.00 or possibly $129.00 for return and restock!

So...I went with the WBBB and have never looked back.
    Find out what the law and return policies are for bedding return in states where other small makers are located. (I wrote "small" because I have seen no evidence that Clark makes more hammocks than Warbonnet, Tree to Tree.) Then, consider whether the vendor should sell a returned item as new.

I bought my NX-250 from HF member "lowclass". It had supposedly been used just one weekend by a girlfriend "whose idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service" -- yeah, great line. The NX-250 arrived reeking from campfire smoke which airing did not soon diminish. No objection, here. But, just as undisclosed were the multiple burns and small holes from cinders on a lower edge of the Vertex rain fly. I have no idea how lowclass would have represented this to Clark, in trying to return the NX-250. No better than to everyone who read his listing here at HF, including me? He may not have known of the damage. He didn't answer another prospect who publicly asked, "Yes, but is it in new condition?"

So, before decrying return policies, show some smarts about who bears the costs. When REI and LLBean are liberal, the costs are redistributed. Other small sellers may wish to bear costs of consumer indecision to generate good will. I can understand the other side of it, having read enough posts here of folks who take REI policies to be "free gear trials for members."

Hammock
    Clark nx-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    NR Underquilt
    Suspension
    standard
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon_grease View Post
    You asked permission? WOW.

I've always held the philosophy it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!
    I've learned to plant seeds ahead... big ones, so when the time comes I can tell her its 'only'... and she goes, okay, its your birthday after all.

As I have stated elsewhere in another thread, about the only thing you need to mod on a NX250 is the suspension. While they will work, the really stiff rope Clark supplies is a royal pain when it comes to making small adjustments to fine tune a hang, and you will most likely need to experiment quite a bit to find that just right spot. My choice is rings and straps, others use whoopie slings, both work easily and well. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/UGQ Ambu
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Is a Clark worth the money?
    If you want a Clark now - but think it is too expensive - and get a different hammock instead... you will still wish you had a Clark.
    At least that is the position I find myself in. Eventually I will be getting a Clark. Probably money-wise, I would have been better off getting the Clark right off the bat.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Someone as tall as 6' 5" might do better to begin search with a longer hammock than any Clark. The short Clark body, used on the Ultralight, Tropical, NA and NX150 is, at 8ft, among the shortest on a serious camping / jungle hammock. I like it fine, but I am not at all tall.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ BQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    If a person is one who always feels they must go "bottom dollar", then they will always be dissatisfied with the quality piece of merchandise. If it is not worth it TO YOU to have the quality of a Clark, then it probably is not. I hesitated for quite awhile pondering whether to go immediately with a Clark or whether to try a cheap "learning" hammock. After seeing all the information on this Forum and The Hoodlums Forum, I decided that it would most likely be cheaper in the long run to go with the best and experience the best first, rather than having a bad experience with a cheaper system, and then trying to decide whether to buy another complete system to try and get the same satisfaction expressed by so many here on the forum. The only experience I had with a hammock prior to the Clark was one of the old braided rope/spreader bar hammocks that I had strung way too tight, froze my backside, and threw me out at every move. I DEFINITELY made the right decision in going with the Clark, and every time I use it I like it even better.

That is my dos centavos!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline &amp; NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    As I have stated elsewhere in another thread, about the only thing you need to mod on a NX250 is the suspension. While they will work, the really stiff rope Clark supplies is a royal pain when it comes to making small adjustments to fine tune a hang, and you will most likely need to experiment quite a bit to find that just right spot. My choice is rings and straps, others use whoopie slings, both work easily and well. Happy hanging.

Yes and no.

Yes because the poly-prop line that comes with the Clark is pretty susceptible to abrasion damage. However, it holds 'standard' knots very well which is uncommon for poly-prop.

No because there are numerous arrangements that allow the Clark's standard suspension to be adjusted without issue. Taut-line hitches hold surprisingly well on this line and allow multiple adjustments of almost any size without retying. The arrangement Clark suggests works quite well, too.

A big thing that folks tend to forget about the Clark's poly-prop line... it's hydrophobic in a BIG way. When used with a drip ring, the line does not allow water to get to the ends of the hammock.

All in all, it's a very adequate suspension. Yes, it requires the user to know basic knots, but it does the job and it does it very well. Like all the features on a Clark, the line is very well thought out and researched. It's not perfect, but it wasn't put there by accident.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bacon_grease View Post
    Yes and no.

Yes because the poly-prop line that comes with the Clark is pretty susceptible to abrasion damage. However, it holds 'standard' knots very well which is uncommon for poly-prop.

No because there are numerous arrangements that allow the Clark's standard suspension to be adjusted without issue. Taut-line hitches hold surprisingly well on this line and allow multiple adjustments of almost any size without retying. The arrangement Clark suggests works quite well, too.

A big thing that folks tend to forget about the Clark's poly-prop line... it's hydrophobic in a BIG way. When used with a drip ring, the line does not allow water to get to the ends of the hammock.

All in all, it's a very adequate suspension. Yes, it requires the user to know basic knots, but it does the job and it does it very well. Like all the features on a Clark, the line is very well thought out and researched. It's not perfect, but it wasn't put there by accident.

My entire Hammock experience so far has been very positive. But my general persona and personality just makes me hesitant and not comfortable with gizmos and gadgets and doo-flingys and what not’s on the trail.
    That is why I just love the simplicity of the std Clark ropes and drip rings with my NX 250.
    I tried the web straps suspension with Tri-Glides on my older Clark Jungle Hammock hang and I hated them (although I have a set of wide straps that I use for tree protection with my Clark ropes). Just something about the basic rope suspension on the trail seems more natural to me.
    I just got myself set up with a single line ridge line with prussick's for my rain fly, hoping for easier adjustment to slide the rain fly where it works best over my hang. But I have an idea that I'll grow to hate it-Just not simple enough for me. Time will tell.
    I now have a set of whoopee slings that were given to me about 2 weeks ago, but I will be scared to death and shaking in my Keen hiking sandals when I try to use em for sure!! But I’ll be a brave hanger and I’ll give em a try someday.
    As far as the Clark NX250 goes in general—I love it and I am very happy that I made that choice for a hang. A nice upgrade from my old NA model that just had way too many miles on her and really showing her age. The wear and tear of many adventures have taken toll on that Clark North American hammock, many of those miles were from the previous owner, as I purchased it used. The old bugger needed a new rainfly as it was just plain too old. I started looking at a replacement rainfly for it, and just couldn’t resist just replacing it all with the NX250—I have no regrets!!
    I have been out hanging with 45- 50 degree temps no underquilt, no pad and a summer quilt—with my Clark-No problem. Those pockets do work. (just need to watch for the occasional cold shoulder when no underquilt is used).
    Although I do carry a lost river 2/3 underquilt just in case it get colder. I can have that quilt under my Clark hammock in about 3 minutes and it’s a simple procedure.
    I just like to me out in the woods—with a comfortable sleep awaiting me at days end no matter what the weather-The Clark does that for me, so the few extra ounces and the Clark Price are and is worth it to me.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I don't have one... Wish i did. From what I see on the site with all its features I believe it is worth the money . Before I asked if it was worth it I would be more concerned with how comfortable it was. I thought my eno was awesome until I got into a 11.5ft diy...... I sold my eno with in a month.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real