WBBB double 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing

NX-250 worth the $$$$?

Is it really worth it to buy one of the Clark jungle NX hammocks? I have always wanted to get the NX-250, but I never have because I didn't think it was worth $430. Hammocks are comfortable, But I could buy a nice Mountain Hardware, 4 season tent for that price... actually... I could buy 2!

So the question is: Is the Clark NX- 150 or 250 really worth the money?

Thanks a lot!

Brock
    Brock!
    2 Samuel: 22
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
    (")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You could buy a tent??? Ok, since you're new here I'll cut you some slack with the tent comment. If you like alot of space, and you like comfort, a Clark NX-150 or 250 might be for you. There are a ton of HF members in your area, I'm sure if you check out one of their hangs, you could get a chance to test out a Clark and see if its for you. The NX series are real bomb-proof hammocks, a bit heavy yes, but if you don't might a bit more weight, they will get you through all sorts of weather without a care in the world.

Hammock
    Calrk NX 250
    Tarp
    Vertex Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch's
    I tell you what I had the same thought myself. But after reading everything I could I bit the bullet. Now that I have it I can't imagine another hammock. I mean if my wife would let me I would buy her a twin bed and hang my hammock beside her. Of course now I think she wants one to. That's where the problem is. I never told her how much I paid for it. So I guess I better save up and get ready to order her one.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The answer you get depends on where you ask the question. Maybe this should go in the General Hammock Talk sub-forum, where you'll hear from those who have other hammocks.

Since you asked about an NX-250: I have one because I could at the time, a previously owned one; but I'm about to sleep in a smaller body Clark tonite, by choice, or not too much sacrifice.

First, as with Hennessy, you buy a package: hammock, suspension, and tarp. Clark gets to its most expensive model, the NX-250, by building up features. For value you can appraise it by pricing components, pricing them as they come off.

First, the tarp. Not the biggest, but well made, so value it at $100. We're down to $330, including the zippered weathershield, a $60 feature. Take it away, and we're down to $270. The 6 sewn, elasticized, and velcro pockets. $60. Down to $210. Clark makes a line of hammocks with smaller bodies. Value the size as a $20 upgrade: Down to $190. Now the hoops to hold up the net and weather shield and make it all seem roomy, as a feature: $40. We're at $150 for a double side entry bug-netted, US Made hammock without compromise in zippers, nylon, or construction. Not very different from what the few other US maker charge for that.

Fans of other hammocks will snort that they get more for their money. If you don't have too much money, or if you are pretty certain a $30 hammock will make you happy and give you all you want, then the advocacy at the $150-$200 level is beside the point.

I just gave the feature-pricing schedule that results in a $430 NX-250 package. Off the bat, if you have no interest in the included rain fly, loving another, then on economic grounds the NX-250 is out. And the allowance Clark offers to leave it out, $50-$60 is too small. Also the pockets cost Clark to put on, but are of no value to many potential customers. But, the perception that Clark charges an arm and a leg is wrong, just as the charge that it is overly heavy is factually wrong. (You can sleep on a stretchier body and be comfortable. But, the firmness and durability of the Clark come at (a modest) weight penalty.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-03-2012 at 00:25.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    Yea, what DemostiX said +1. When the weather is against you you will love the NX250 and will not fret about the price you paid IMHO.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by brockthecool2 View Post
    Is it really worth it to buy one of the Clark jungle NX hammocks? I have always wanted to get the NX-250, but I never have because I didn't think it was worth $430. Hammocks are comfortable, But I could buy a nice Mountain Hardware, 4 season tent for that price... actually... I could buy 2!

So the question is: Is the Clark NX- 150 or 250 really worth the money?

Thanks a lot!

Brock
    DemoStix covered the technical side well enough so here's the non-technical answer.

Short answer: Yes... to me.

Long answer:

My better half *hated* camping and I *loved* camping. This, understandably, caused some issues between us. I had upgraded to a Clark NX-200 and was loving life in the trees. After a couple trips without her, she decided to tag along for two trips.

She tried two different tents, a whole slew of mattresses, cots and sleeping arrangements. She loved being outdoors but loathed the sleeping arrangements. The second day of the last trip, she took a nap in my Clark. Needless to say, I was sleeping on the ground that night.

After the inevitable "You spent WHAT on a hammock!?!?!?!?!" conversation she decided we needed a second Clark for her use.

At this point, we had a trip to Salt Lake City planned and I called Spencer at Clark to arrange an appointment. He graciously accepted and indicated "You know... we have a new hammock she might like better..."

After testing both (200 and 250) out, she decided the NX250 was a better fit for her. Two years later, she loves camping and I spend far more nights under the stars than I did before.

So, yes, the NX250 is worth every penny to me because it makes camping a pleasant experience for the person I want to camp with.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Bacon Grease:
    You've hit on what really matters. Truly, two happy campers.

For the noob: There's also an application here to reservations about seemingly expensive underquilts. If they extend the number of days per year you can be comfortable outside by oh, about 100-250, and a motel room is $75 night at minimum, is $200 for an UQ, resellable here for $140, really expensive?

I'll leave the explanation for why those in tents will spend up to $150 for a pad to someone else.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

I'll leave the explanation for why those in tents will spend up to $150 for a pad to someone else.
    I suppose it has something to do with not wanting to be a bear pinata...

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I had a nx-250 and loved it. i tend to find myself in nasty weather...cold/windy/bad storms,etc.... i ended up selling it to ballonatic who wanted it to hike the AT. I miss that hammock, but for me, it pinched my shoulders too much. I am a big/wide guy. It took adam at hammockgear to help me realise it wasn't the right hammock for me. Now i rock the ENO DN and am super comfortable. I can't wait until they release their version of the clark because i am gonna buy one for myself right away.

Yep, two tents. One problem, can't hang either of them. An NX250 is a beautiful thing, inside and out. Expensive? Sure. Worth it? Maybe not. But, It is a joy to use, built to last, stands up to about any weather, and alas, is not in any ultra light packers gear. I totally enjoy every trip out in mine. Happy hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast