Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

550 Paracord from eBay.. Whuddayathink?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2807497470...84.m1423.l2649

I've bought 100 feet already for ridgelines/suspension/whatever... But if it isn't good enough for that me and Bloke can use it for hanging bags and making placemats ^^

Just wanted to see what you guys thought first before we bought a few more feet of it (I can see it being very useful for hammoching).

There is another store on ebay called paracordbracelet or something and that advertises 550 cord but actually says the load max is 350.. And the Bushcraft store were we've bought ours from says "yep ours is definitely 550, those other guys are rubbish"

Whudda ya think?

Hammock
    Dangerbird, Snipe, DIY Poly, HH
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopsies
    Images
    It's great if you like to sleep on the ground 550 just isn't strong enough and also very stretchy.
    "don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go and do that because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

Ah right What would you suggest as an alternative, amsteel? (which one?)

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    7/64 is main stream use but for add safety some use 1/8. A lot of people use zing it or lash it for their ridge lines as its a little lighter and less bulkier. Paracord is mainly just used for a bear bag line our for people to make bracelets while telling the purple monkey story.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    7/64 is main stream use but for add safety some use 1/8. A lot of people use zing it or lash it for their ridge lines as its a little lighter and less bulkier. Paracord is mainly just used for a bear bag line our for people to make bracelets while telling the purple monkey story.
    +1 550 cord when under heavy load will slowly stretch like crazy. For suspension sick with amsteel, 7/64 is plenty strong enough for you. I'm a heavy hanger and I've never has an issue. Try diy supply, they well it for I think .25 a ft, so for little money you can make yourself a pair of Whoopie.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Sweet thanks for the info. I'm from the UK so finding amsteel is a bit of a pain. Looking at DD hammocks at the mo, 1 per meter...

Can I use amsteel as a structural ridgeline? (Should probably make a new thread for this but meh xD) I like shug's whoopie ridgeline. I have a few other questions with structural ridgelines, I can't find much info in one place about them!

Amsteel is an American tradename for Dyneema. I bought Dyneema D12 from sailingmad.com (which is a UK based company). I've also bought it off eBay. The reason it's talked about so much on here is that it's an American forum & Amsteel is readily available over there

Now if only we could sort out some decent BBQ ribs I'd only have the lack of guns to whine about!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, Snipe, DIY Poly, HH
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopsies
    Images
    You might also be able to find 1" polyester webbing more readily, it makes for a little more bulky but excellent suspension with cinch buckles or descending rings.
    "don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go and do that because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Agreed with the comments and concerns about 550 cord so far, but wanted to add...

Be very careful about trusting "550 cord" you get on ebay or off the internet in general.

Odds are, it's not truly military spec 550 cord, but a cheaper civilian equivilant.

So, given all of that...I personally would only trust my weight to it if I were using a bundle to support me, rather than a single strand of it, and even then I wouldn't use it for any kind of long term method to support a person. Too risky.