Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

hammock tightness

After a search turned up nothing I have a question for all you experts. I just got my ENO doublenest hammock and I use it in my back room with a hammock stand. At first I hung it as loose as possible as I thought I read that would allow you to lay flat. After experincing back pain I have continually tightened it. I have it pretty tight now and it just crossed my mind that my middle back pain might be from having a large pillow shoved under my head so I can watch TV from the hammock. But I was wondering can you hang a hammock to tight and if so what are some signs that you have? For all I know (as this is my first hammock) my idea of being tight like I think it is now could be considered loose to you all. Thanks

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

hanging tight

Something to watch out for as you tighten your pitch is that you are in all probability increasing the force on your suspension line, and suspension points. Has to do with the angle of the suspension line from the hammock to its suspension point.

See Smee's instructive diagram.

That said, unless you are also using a structural ridgeline, it is unlikely that you'll be tightening so hard as to get into danger of snapping a cord or bending a hammock frame. But it is an effect to be aware of.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You were right, the looser the ENO the flatter you can lay...but that's laying on the diagonal, not on the centerline. If you want to lay on the centerline of the hammock, then yes you will probably want to tighten the hang up some.

Take a look at this pic. That's a good representation of what an ENO looks like when hung 'loosely', using a structural ridgeline of approx 100 inches.

Grizz is right about the ridgeline. If you use one, only pull the suspension tight enough to remove the sag from the ridgeline, not tight enough to make it overly taut.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the replies so far. For more info no I dont use a ridge line and current measurments from one end fo fabric to the other is 8' 5'' with no weight in it. As I climb in the sides of the hammock feel pretty tight but once I am in it feels fine. I still lay off center and get real flat that way

When you refer to the "ridgeline" are you talking about something like the HH's have? I have always feared popping that line that holds up the bug net! Any suggestions on just how tight the HH should be hung? I have always heard as well that it kind of depends on how far apart the tree's are to. Is that correct as well?

• + New Posts