I wanted a hammock stand because although I have a ton of trees on my property none are suitable for hanging for one reason or another (mostly size). I also wanted one that would fit in the bed of my truck so it had to break down.
I did a little "creative sourcing" for the parts so my total cost was ZERO dollars. Actually the guys who work next to my office have a big scrap bin and I've got an arraingment with them were they let me occasionaly do a little dumpster diving.
Pipes A&C are both 1 1/4" pipe, pipe B is 2 1/2".
I cut the A pipes to 88", the B pipes are 45", and the C pipe is 96.
The B pipes are drilled through with 1 3/4" holes one set parrellel to the ground, the other at about a 60 or so degree angle (I faked it and they aren't the same). As it sits right now the tops of the pipes are about 12' apart, I've got another piece of 1 1/4" pipe I'm going to add a slip joint to so I can stretch C just enough to accomodate my biggest tarp.
I welded the A pipes to the B pipes, but the C pipe is just a slip fit through the B pipe. When the hammock is loaded the A+B assembly pivots towards the load which locks it to pipe C.