Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    That will happen only once!
    ...not if you hit so hard that you don't quite remember the first time ...Just saying

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    First, and I mean the first thing, go to a local hang and check out everyone's set-up and try out different hammocks to see what you really like. This will save you so much money in the long run. That is one thing I wish I had done. If you can go to a couple hangs first and don't be shy about asking to see everyone's gear. We love to show off our gear.
    That includes hammocks, UQ, TQ, suspension, and tarps and stoves and etc......
    Agree!! It's really the only time, literally, everyone is willing and ready to show you their bedroom and let you lay on their bed

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Last weeks Mega Millions winning number!
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Good one Diva, and so true.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by catte View Post
    Hello all, I am an absolute newb to hammock camping, and as I eagerly await my hammock's arrival, I wonder what gems of wisdom might the old timers might have for someone just starting out? Any Dos and Don'ts that might seem obvious now, but aren't to the inexperienced?

I've been watching videos and lurking on the forum, I'm pretty sure I am going to love hangin, and my new addiction
    What makes a gem of wisdom is figuring out if that gem will work for you and that's the fun of it. Some gems don't work out but something is always learned. If you wish for something, let it be new ideas to try and opportunties to discover. Wish for aha moments. Wish for that great feeling when you learn to trust that new piece of gear.

Oh yeah, and buy an underquilt.

David

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    My best advice would be to listen to what others are doing. Don't go out thinking you can reinvent the wheel. Not saying that new ideas don't come around from time to time. But, there are reasons why certain suspensions, insulations, ridgelines, tarps, ect. are so popular; they work! Those that have come before you have tested and perfected many of these systems so you don't have to. Once you have a fully functional rig that you are comfortable with, then think about experimenting with something new. Who knows maybe you'll build a better mouse trap.

Oh! And just in case no one has mentioned it yet, the Under Quilt is the only way to go, it's like sleeping on a cloud. Though my prefference is synthetic UQ, all other insulation (TQ mainly) should of the magical goosey goodness variety; 800FP or better.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    This thread abounds with the wonders of underquilts. A few years ago the same enthusiasm was shown for ccf pads and pad extenders. There were posts then about the disadvantages of pads, but I think the cost of alternatives slowed things down quite a bit. Today there are plenty of posts about the difficulty of adjusting underquilt suspensions (just not in this thread). Alternatives, such as down air matresses and insulated hammocks have been tried and praised by some. It remains to be seen if they will become the next great thing.

Newbies, pay attention to what works and what doesn't work. That is, use this forum wisely. It's a fantastic resource. Don't be an early adapter (or worse, an inventor - leave that to us idiots who can't help ourselves. )

Wish us all luck. Enjoy the outdoors.

Images
    i like having worked through the changes the last 4 1/2 years. i tried everything people thought of good or not so good. i think it gives you a better understanding of the evolution of the hammock.
    i started using a hammock so i would not have to sleep on the hard ground. it works and has openned up many adventures i may have not tried.
    KK&K
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    If you are doing any cold weather camping, get a larger tarp with doors. Will help keep you warmer.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    When I started off about 3 years ago I was using a catalyst all year round including summer time and it was filled. Now I am using a CDT and have room to spare. If their is anything that I have learned is that nothing is as valuable as trial and error (of course in safe conditions) meaning get out their and try it all, make it to group hangs to see what you like and do not like, read read and read up on this forum and do not get caught up in the newest greatest thing and instead do lots of research and make decision on your own that will fit your hiking style the best. And it's not always about hiking the most miles or having the lightest gear but just getting out. The miles and the weight saving will come with time and experience. Welcome to the world above ground.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast