Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

AT Section Hike (MD,PA)

Just finalizing equipment and logistics for my FIRST Section Hike on the AT

Starting in Harpers Ferry , WV heading North to somwhere in PA hoping to cover about 100+miles

I will meet up with my son who lives in Harrisburg,PA and spend a day or two with him

I will be SOLO on the hike and will resupply via USPS (General Delivery)

Start Date May 11th end date May 21st

Any insight on the areas I am covering would be helpful

What is the Bear activity like in these parts?

What sights are worth stoppinfg for?

Weather expectations?

What is the water situation like ?

etc...........

I have a NO Rush attitude for this hike so a few Stops won't hurt
    and maybe even a zero day would be OK if I find a nice spot to sit and ponder
    World Peace or something

My Plan is to hang near shelters most of the time unless that Perfect Spot(or too tired to make it) comes along

First Night I hope to Make Crampton Gap or settle for Ed Garvey

I will not start hiking until around Noon (Train Arrives at 10:00am)

Thanks in advance for your Help
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    You picked a great section, Here's the info on the MD portion ...I'm on it quite frequently. Try to make Crampton Gap for your first night if you can, the trail is pretty easy. I was there this weekend and water is availiable. It will dry up intermittently though; so if it's dry at your departure, fill up prior at Gathland State park, a short distance from the site. If you are taking your time, Rocky Run is a good hangout spot about 5 miles from Crampton, be prepared for a toe/knee killer on the downhill side, plenty of water there and plenty of good locations at the campsite they have two shelters there, one is recently constructed. While on your way make sure you visit the Washington monument (right on the AT), and bring your camera, there's a 360 degree panoramic view that's spectactular. I'd avoid the Pine Knob shelter all together, right off the highway, noisy, and people who don't want to walk will use it because it's very close to parking. If you bypass Rocky Run, Annapolis Rock is a good site to stay at, (14 miles From Crampton) especially if it's not on a weekend, it can get a bit crowded there; the view is spectactular and plenty of water. Pogo has a good water source.
    Ensign Cowell ...fair.... and is very much used .... so you'll have to decide wether you want to do the 7 mile trek from Annapolis Rock and stay at Cowell or do the 11.5 treck on up to Raven Rock which is a completely renovated shelter with a great location. The terrain is a bit rocky between Cowall and Raven Rock, take your time on some of it, it will challenge your ankles for sure. That will have you with about 5 miles to go before the PA Mason Dixon Line ... pm me if you'd like, no problem. Bears through here are absolutely no problem, just make sure you hang your food high. Have a great trip.
    Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 04-05-2012 at 09:10.

Hey Uncle Ray Ray, What part of Maryland are you in. I live in Anne Arundel County just south east of Baltimore (City). I am new to the forum and Hammock Camping and would love to pick your brain for locations and any other info you may be willing to offer about our area.

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    i need to do some of that section also, but i have done from Caledonia State Park to Duncannon in PA.

Take a Camera, there are some pretty important AT milestones in that section. The ATC and the Halfway point of the AT just to name a few.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Images
    I hiked from Duncanon, PA to Boonsboro, MD in October. Here's a video I made. http://youtu.be/UUeyYy6e1G8

Great hike. Enjoy!!!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You can order pizza to be delivered to Pann-Mar park. There is a menu in the building by the parking lot. They also have good cheessteaks.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra66it View Post
    Hey Uncle Ray Ray, What part of Maryland are you in. I live in Anne Arundel County just south east of Baltimore (City). I am new to the forum and Hammock Camping and would love to pick your brain for locations and any other info you may be willing to offer about our area.
    PM me and its no problem at all.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    If you are packing a tenkara fly rod, you have to stop in Bubbletown (Boiling Springs) and fish!
    If you aren't taking fishing gear, PM me...I fish there often and can bring some gear and grub. Anile's Pizza in Boiling Springs has excellent sweet peppers and mushroom pizza!

I can probably arrange a shower at Camp Tuckahoe (side hike of about 1.5 miles), take the orange blazed trail...again, PM me, and I'll help.

Safe journey!

Hammock
    HH exped
    Tarp
    HH diamond
    Insulation
    ccf
    Suspension
    stock HH
    Annapolis Rocks is a great spot. Also, if it fits your schedule the Quarry Gap shelter is one of the nicest on the entire AT.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    I hope you have a great time on your hike. Uncle Ray Ray had a lot of good information on Md. When you get into Pa the view from Chimney Rocks 9.5 miles from Pa/Md border is fantastic. It seemed like it might be far enough away from the road to keep the crowds down as well. Sunset Rocks and Pole Steeple are two views at Pine Grove Furnace SP that are well worth seeing also. Here is a link for the AT museum located in PGFSP. http://www.atmuseum.org/intro.htm I don’t remember seeing any bear sign from Harpers to well north of Darlington shelter (11 miles south of Duncannon). That’s not to say they aren’t in this section; just compared to Shenandoah NP or up north in the central parts of Pa you would have a much better chance of seeing them. The trail does get rocky in Pa but the only section I remember as being very bad for me was about 5-6 miles of rocks baked potatoes to loaf of bread sized from around 3 miles north of Darlington shelter traveling up to cove mountain shelter. Hope this helps.
    Peace,
    Gris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast