Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

Mt. Rogers Campout Posts!

Since (I hope) everyone is getting home pretty soon, I thought I'd start a thread for comments, stories, gear discussions, etc. pertaining to the trip!

For myself, I'm thrilled at how well the trip went! I really enjoyed getting to know everyone, checking out all the gear ideas, and staying WARM in LOW temps and HIGH winds. I'll reserve my insulation descriptions until Jeff and Tim give some official word on the overnight winds/wind chills.

Pics coming too!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think -3F was the agreed-upon low on Fri night, and -6F on Saturday night.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I think -3F was the agreed-upon low on Fri night, and -6F on Saturday night.
    that sounds right.

GREAT TRIP by the way!!!
    it was really good to see folks i haven't seen in a while & meet several for the first time.
    we hated that HE,prekolady & others that wanted to make the trip weren't able to make it.
    the jacks gave demonstrations on attaching underquilts & using the no snivler w/ the pad converter.
    michele, i apologize but i forgot all about trying to get a video of the underquilt adjustments. maybe the jacks can be talked into doing that & providing a link to it. but they may need some recovery time after that long hike. their not as young as we are ya know<g>.
    we had some fairly new hammockers & some brand new hammockers that did great in the cold. it would be good to tell a little more about that... especially how we "collectively" put together a cold weather hammock for pandaman who didn't even have a hammock. he slept so warm that he started over-heating & had to take off some clothing.
    the hot dog supper was great & the JRB give-away was even better. only problem was that ncpatrick had some how got my ticket & he ended up w/ the grand prize... the STELTH QUILT!!!
    but really it was fun for every one & we really appreciate the jacks doing that for the camp-out group and especially for the white blaze & hammock forums!!!
    more to come... including pictures!!! ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I just got home.

WOW, what a great time!!!!!!!

Doctari.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I just got home.

Doctari.
    it was good to meet you doc. it was great!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I just got home.

Doctari.
    Yeah, Doc, great to meet ya! Good hiking with ya too!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Btw, I just posted most of my relevant pics in the gallery. Some are in the 'faces' section, and there's a couple of my setup in the 'hammock landscapes' section. After I got home, I realized I didn't have ANY pics of anyone else's setup - I really need to get a bigger memory card for my camera!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Top, Smee and I got home safely about two hours ago...

We had a blast on many counts.... first, Putting faces to all the primary hangers' name was great....Better still was getting to know most of the hangers on a personal basis was even better...Just being out in our hammocks is always a welcome treat...And the negative numbers with wind gusts of 30-45 knots (no gage but it easily moved the tops of 40-50 trees without leaves through sways of 10-15 feet).... We definately were swinging... heck, couple of times it was like the old firemans blanket toss when getting hoisted a couple inches, on each sway.... It was like the Wise Shelter area put in an "E" ticket ride for us...WAHOOH!!!

Sleeping bare footed, bare handed, in 3 oz ea silk Top and Bottoms through that ride into the negative number range was proof enough that year round hanging is clearly doable.... the fact that there were 13 other hangers, including JJ's 7 year old son and Pandaman, a virgin Hammock Hanger, in our extra gear pieced together Sat afternoon under scores the preparedness of the group....No one bailed either night....Yea Team... Better yet no one even was cold....

The new JRB prototype hammock tents all did pretty good in the 1/2 inch ice and snow shower of Sat night ... They, also, really made laughing at the wind on Friday night too easy... Your positive reception of them has encouraged us to take the for manufacturers prototyping the first week of Feburary....

Much to do tonight...more later... hope all got home safely.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i came back w/ 75 pictures on the camera, but i only posted 46. i'll probably need to thin them down later this week.
    they are in landscapes.

Images
    Double B and I made it home safely too and had a GREAT time. I learned alot from the Jacks "training" and it was cool to put a face with all of the names. I now feel WAAAAY more comfortable about hanging in the cold. I was toasty warm in just a JRB Nest and No Sniveller. I took pics mostly of my own setup and will post them after I download them off of my camera. I checked out everyones setup except Black Bishops (he was too close to the privy!!!!!) and have pictures of a few. Once I look at what has already been posted I will add mine if I have something not already there. In addition to learning lots from the Jacks and having an all around good time, Jeff gave me LOTS of insight about taking my own kids to the woods and I cant wait. Thanks to the Jacks for the raffle (I won a pair of the coveted Python Skins and a set of STLs)! HeadChange, I hope you and Doctari didnt break down carrying all the extra weight of the rest of the raffle items home (Luckiest man alive, other than NCPatrick).
    Great time. This is my first such event and I loved it. Already making plans for Trail Days. I hope to meet you all one day.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast