DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by The RidgeRunner View Post
    I second that, but i still couldn't get on the show. This is the first time being an Eagle Scout has kept me from doing something.
    I am taking the perspective that the folks at National Geographic want a relatively even playing field and the adult leaders who are also Eagles might give too much of an advantage to the team they would be on. It's somewhat like a badge of honor, although it may not feel like one.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'd assume that they'd want to rule out ex/current military as well. I have nothing against the scouts...but seems to me that in order for this to work they'd have to pick adults with a comparitively small amount of outdoor experience.

I'll definitely be looking for this show this fall.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I really have no idea how this series will play out, but based on this comment from the founder and producer:

“I was three badges short of my Eagle Scout badge, and I know I am not alone,” said Original Productions founder and producer Thom Beers. “This series is going to allow people like me one more chance to achieve such an incredible milestone. Plus, it’s authentic, has a fun and interesting set of circumstances and underdog characters with a story to tell. And frankly, who doesn’t love the Boy Scouts?” - http://www.scouting.org/Media/PressR.../20120117.aspx

I am guessing it will be about allowing former scouts to complete their open requirements. Eagles are bypassed as they have no requirements left to fill.

The scouts may simply be serving as the troop leaders, mentors, etc. It may not be a competition at all. Who knows.

I was talking to my son (a life scout) about it and he thought that it would be great if they made next years a traveling show. They could have activities that highlight the different BSA properties from Philmont, Seabase, and Northern Tier to different scout camps around the country. Invite different scouts to each venue to generate a lot of excitement. Have the grand finale at the Summit and the 2013 Jamboree.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'd assume that they'd want to rule out ex/current military as well. I have nothing against the scouts...but seems to me that in order for this to work they'd have to pick adults with a comparitively small amount of outdoor experience.

I'll definitely be looking for this show this fall.
    Assuming for convenience that it is a competition between the scouts and adults, if you take the full spectrum of merit badges, I think you could effectively negate the generic skill set of any group of adults. Being ex/current military will not necessarily help with American Cultures, Bugling, Farm Mechanics, Nuclear Science, Small Boat Sailing, Theater, Welding, etc. etc.

If the group of scouts collectively have all the merit badges, the adults are probably in real trouble.

Again, this is all assuming it is a competition between the scouts and adults. I am leaning towards it being a competition between the adults to complete their requirements.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    That makes more sense. If the goal is to complete merit badges...then I could see where it could be an even playing field.

Guess we just need to wait and see what the real premise behind the show is going to be.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Things a changing as far as adult casting. They are looking at current scout leaders and former Eagle scouts. And with 100yrs+ of scouting to draw from for the chalenges. It should be very fun.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Calrk NX 250
    Tarp
    Vertex Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch's
    This is Awesome good for the boys. I hope this makes it to the T.V. for at least a full season. That way I am sure it would have enough time to continue on it's own. I can't wait to watch. Not to mention I just got done emailing all the scouts and scouters I know up here so that they watch to.

Northern Star
    Trailer Blazer district
    District camping chair.

And not to offend our military, but I would put more stock in a well trained Scout to be better prepared for a host of situations. As my Marine DI grandfather told me, "I trained men to kill and destroy and how to stay alive long enough to do so."
    I am still looking forward to the show!

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios
    We use hammocks of all sorts in our Troop. This is a great thing to promote Scouting. I hope they get someone like Mike Rowe (an Eagle Scout) to host the show. Good luck to your "Boys".
    Y.I.S.,
    Tom C.
    Asst. Scoutmaster
    Troop 184
    N.Tonawanda, NY

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PokeEm View Post
    And not to offend our military, but I would put more stock in a well trained Scout to be better prepared for a host of situations. As my Marine DI grandfather told me, "I trained men to kill and destroy and how to stay alive long enough to do so."
    I am still looking forward to the show!
    I have a military background and I can't remember one time we ever stopped to make a camp fire, not one. Got a lot of the very basics in training but not a lot implementation with survival skills.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast