continuous loops

I posted this yesterday in DIY forum by mistake, so I will try it here. I am helping a friend to change suspension on his Hennessey, we plan to use descender rings on a continuous amsteel loop. My question is, while most continuous loops are about 12'', will the loop for this project need to be any longer to be able to install it as the original rope is installed. Any additional advise will be appreciated.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I would concider 12 inches to be the bare minimum. 14 would be better. Some HH have 1 hole and some have 2, the ones with 1 hole take less slack.

Hope it helps.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Agree with Dutch that 12" is probably too short.

How are you going to attach the rings? Are they going to be spliced into the loop, or larks-headed on? Having them spliced in will give you a little more room to work with.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I would concider 12 inches to be the bare minimum. 14 would be better. Some HH have 1 hole and some have 2, the ones with 1 hole take less slack.

Hope it helps.
    I'm sure it will, I have 12's but can whip up some longer, just wasn't sure if necessary. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Agree with Dutch that 12" is probably too short.

How are you going to attach the rings? Are they going to be spliced into the loop, or larks-headed on? Having them spliced in will give you a little more room to work with.
    I plan to larks head them, so as dutch suggested I will splice some a bit longer, thanks for the input.

I'm having problems with my new (first) hammock, a wicked centre ridge as well as floppy side where the head lays on the material.

I am wondering whether I've installed my continuous loops correctly. I just want to ask, I made 8-inch continuous loops. Is this too short, and if so, what is the negative result from installing too-short continuous loops? By the way it's a channeled end, so not sure if you were referring to channeled end hammocks when saying that 12-inches is the bare minimum.

Here is a photo of my hammock end. The first two photos are of one end, and the third is of the other end. The hammock is laying on the floor. Have it got the continuous loops in the right position? Let me know if I can reposition or redress the hammock and resend the photo:

IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0011.jpgIMG_0012.jpg

The length of the loop has no effect on the floppy sides. The. Whipped end style is thought by some to be able to affect the side tension, maybe , maybe not. Extra width fabrics can allow some extra side flop. The Knotty Mod is a go to for helping correct sagging sides. Your suspension loops as pictured are as good as it gets.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    The length of the loop has no effect on the floppy sides. The. Whipped end style is thought by some to be able to affect the side tension, maybe , maybe not. Extra width fabrics can allow some extra side flop. The Knotty Mod is a go to for helping correct sagging sides. Your suspension loops as pictured are as good as it gets.
    Thank you oldhats.

• + New Posts