Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7
    DavidWA,
    As for the suspension of the tarp first...I don't see why not. The button hole straps are wrapped around the tree first and the tarp connects to them anyway, so absolutely the tarp could be pitched first. Just may have to go back and re-tension again after hammock is up.

No provisons for shock cords to ground from hammock. My understanding of the shock cord on the Warbonnet is that it really is there to expand the shelf area and move some of the loose material on the opposite side away from the hanger. I suppose an added benefit is the reduction or lessening of swinging.

I did not notice any tree damage from the straps, although my first impression was that the rope was a bit narrow. It worked well and didn't leave marks that I saw.

Thanks for watching the videos.
    Regards,
    Chuck

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Great review ! Thanks Chuck. I have to agree with most of your points.

Great concept, great workmanship. Just needs a bit of twiking.

Would not advise one for anyone taller then 5' 9" or heaver then 200 lbs.

Hope they do make a tall version for the american market place.

I have found the tarp to be second to none and hope they offer it seprately
    down the road.

I have been using the supension cords now with biners for three years.
    I can't say anuff good about them. Versitle and when used with biners can be adjusted with mitten hands. Never had any tree damage.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    Great review !
    I have found the tarp to be second to none and hope they offer it seprately
    down the road.

.... Never had any tree damage.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com
    Good to hear you never had any tree damage. The suspension cords are kind of a slick idea. Seems I read somewhere that the suspension cords are available separately. Maybe that is a hint that the trap will be offered separately at a later time too.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl. 1.7
    Thanks for the kind words FourDog. I will be waiting to see if an XL version comes out. If it does, I will be eager to try it out. I'd love to own the tarp separately, as it is quality all around. And the suspension ropes are great!

Not a fan of the hammock suspension. That would be the first thing I would change, possibly tp adjustable webbing like on my blackbird or whoopies and tree huggers. Next would be to make a continual ridgeline for the tarp. Im 5'8" 150 and I would imagine this to be very comfortable for me. I would love to test one out. It might be me or just the way you set up the hammock, it look like the pad you were using was to long. But great review, very honest. Hope some day I get to test one.

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorJunkie1992 View Post
    Not a fan of the hammock suspension. That would be the first thing I would change, possibly tp adjustable webbing like on my blackbird or whoopies and tree huggers. Next would be to make a continual ridgeline for the tarp. Im 5'8" 150 and I would imagine this to be very comfortable for me. I would love to test one out. It might be me or just the way you set up the hammock, it look like the pad you were using was to long. But great review, very honest. Hope some day I get to test one.
    I have found there supension system to be my favrite. Have used it now for over 3 years with my Exped Scout Combi. I have used and tryed all the systems over the years down to -30 and found the sloted rope with biners fast and efficent even when using mitten hands. No marking of tree, no binding fail safe no matter the conditions.
    The pad is sized correctly for the hammock, the hammock design has the fabric slope like that.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    I have found there supension system to be my favrite. Have used it now for over 3 years with my Exped Scout Combi. I have used and tryed all the systems over the years down to -30 and found the sloted rope with biners fast and efficent even when using mitten hands. No marking of tree, no binding fail safe no matter the conditions.
    The pad is sized correctly for the hammock, the hammock design has the fabric slope like that.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com
    Really? I really gotta try one haha. Seems like it takes longer to set up with that suspension method

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Interesting. Very good review. I looked at this but it seemed a little too unconventional for a first hammock. Seemed to take awhile for the initial setup where I was inside my Blackbird within 5 min on setting up my first hammock.

I felt "too enclosed" watching you in there. I could see myself all of a sudden tearing the netting apart to get out. And close places don't bother me. Like the tarp and the line pockets. Be interesting to see if any of the other cottage tarp makers incorporate this down the road.

Hope you do more videos, you did a really good job.
    I never hike alone. The voices in my head are always with me.

Hammock
    Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Haven pad
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Just acquired an Exped Ergo from the HF FS forum.

Its and intriguing piece of engineering and I have to say I am quite taken with it much as FourDog and Yukon obviously are but I can see what people find off-putting about the Exped Ergo. Having said that I like it and I am determined to make it work for me.

From Yukon's excellent video review you can see that it comes out the box with quite a bit of sag. Yukon quickly moved his tree straps up about a foot or more to compensate. It seems that the system needs this sag in order to function, let me explain.

I tried to extend the ridge line to make the sag shallow so as to get it on my DIY hammock stand (17' span, 6.5ft high at the anchors) without my back hitting the base of the stand. When you get in the hammock after having set it up on a shallow sag it pulls the spider web into a tight tube. This tube is impossible to get diagonal in comfortably because the webbing and hammock material are being pulled end to end, that why the actual useable laying area seems short. Good luck trying to zip the bugnet shut under these circumstances.

I found it critical to use the ridge line to take a good portion of the lateral load and leave the spider web 'loose' so it can take the shape it needs to take, this 45 degree diagonal lay shape.

So to get the hammock to work it seems you need a short ridge line say 70-75" where the sag is pretty large, HH Safari large, like 45-50".

That means that even if the trees are 9ft apart you need to be up at 7ft with the straps if you want to be 2 feet off the ground. If you are used to WBBB or HH setups (sorry I have no bridge experience) then you are normally looking for a sweet spot of 15-17' tree separation that gives ideal height off the ground given 6.5 ft 7ft tree strap height. Whereas for the Exped Ergo it seems you need to go down to 10-12 ft for a 7ft tree strap height and I don't see how you can go much beyond that tree separation if you are not intending to take your library stool with you into the woods.

Still is this a problem? Well no not really there plenty of trees 9-12 feet apart. Its just a question of knowing that its important to keep that ridge line under 75" and find trees close enough together so that you can reach up high enough with the tree straps.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice details in your post, Crog Welly. I look forward to further observations as you use your hammock. Do you think the strain on the fabric at the line attachment points varies with the sag angle and overall tension, or does the fixed ridgeline compensate for that?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast