Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm sure I've seen stacking insulation on several videos, such as Shug's.

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Wow! Thanks for all of the responses. Great insights and advice.

I just assumed the shorter quilt would go on the inside, however as it we pointed out, less gaps would be possible if it were on the outside.
    I'm out... | website

Images
    Yep. 20F quilt = 50F worth of protection ( 70-20=50)
    40f quilt = 30f of protection (70-40=30) ( or use 75-40=35 if you prefer)

So 50f of protection plus 30f worth of protection= 80f of protection

+70F minus 80F protection= minus 10

Approximately and theoretically, if all is perfect. Two quilts fitting perfectly and staying that way thru the night, and no significant loft compression.

Only downside: it will weigh more than a single minus 10 quilt, due to redundant shells and suspension for a given amount of down. Probably more expensive also, unless you already have both quilts.

Big upside: making due with what you have, and wider comfort range.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I tried layering a 30F SB with a 45F SB on my first true winter camping trip. We saw -17F and I froze, shivered all night and barely slept if at all. Doesn't really relate but I felt like sharing

As far as layering TQs go, I'd be looking to keep whichever one is less compressible on the bottom. If both are down and the same FP I guess it doesn't matter.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It works well....do it often. Here is a pic of my friend Timmy using some of my gear and has a JRB Hudson River with my FrankenQuilt UQ over that. It was-1º that night.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I tried layering a 30F SB with a 45F SB on my first true winter camping trip. We saw -17F and I froze, shivered all night and barely slept if at all. Doesn't really relate but I felt like sharing

As far as layering TQs go, I'd be looking to keep whichever one is less compressible on the bottom. If both are down and the same FP I guess it doesn't matter.
    Wow, minus 17! Thanks for sharing bout the shivering! Was that layered as a TQ or UQ? And whichever, what did you have for the other and for your head?

By my non-scientific way of calculating, and IF everything had been perfect ( no gaps and no compression, all night ) that should have been good for about +5F. Plus maybe your clothing if a TQ. So -17 was really pushing that combo I guess. And of course, there are so many little things to go wrong when layering. Then again, I don't exactly need to be telling you anything about cold weather camping, eh? Better I should be asking you! I do most of my camping in MS ( well, almost in TN at least). But I know you regularly do the severe temp thing in temps I will never reach unless I travel far. This winter, I never even got in a below freezing night! First time ever!

But there is much that can go wrong with layering. Another reason why pods work so great. Once you close everything inside the pod, assuming adequate room, things are pretty much going to stay put and draft free.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, minus 17! Thanks for sharing bout the shivering! Was that layered as a TQ or UQ? And whichever, what did you have for the other and for your head?
    Hey BillyBob, I guess I've come a long way since then. Back then I was a ground-dweller, solo in a 10x8 dome tent, I used both rectangular sleeping bags "nested" and had a ccf pad and I think some cheap self-inflater. I had some kind of ninja-mask for my head, and I had a small polarfleece blanket I tried to use to seal up around my shoulders a bit. Both sleeping bags were cheap, and old... it was really a sub-optimal setup but hey... I lived to tell the tale and even grabbed a few winks here and there.

Contrast this with a trip you may remember my posting about in January 2011, where we saw in the -30s in complete comfort, in my hammock!

This topic does interest me, I'm still a "sleeping-bag guy" and recently bought a Wiggy's Antarctic, but my UQ is a DD Underblanket which (while a nice piece) probably could use a boost in brutal cold (these days I use a CCF pad as a supplement, plus my Mollymac sock has a layer of IX). I've thought about making or getting an IX-insert for it, but another tactic might be to get a 3-season down UQ to hang below the DD

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12