Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I hate to pin. And I find the hemmer feet a pain to use... but to compensate I will routinely do something else that is extremely important and often overlooked. Iron... press the seams before you sew them. Press the hem before you stitch it. Use the proper heat setting on the iron... (ack more learning curves) so you get a nice crisp crease in the fabric. It is so much easier to sew something when the fabric is creased and less likely to move around. My wife and I have been known to stand at the ironing board waiting for the other to be done...
    That's great advice! I need to steal away the family iron occasionally down to my workshop. Next big project maybe. Is there any documentation or are there guides on what the right iron settings are for different (i.e. 1.9oz.) nylons?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bry961 View Post
    I jumped right in. No knowledge of sewing whatsoever. Your first project is probably going to suck, without a doubt.
    That's what I did. I got my mother-in-law's machine, an old t-shirt and some thread. Then I did everything possible to break the machine and learn to sew in a straight line. The best advice I got for you is practice and patientce (more of the latter). Also, as soon as you find one thing to get right, there will be at least two other things to get wrong and make you mad.

Now about using an iron. Would it be advisable to have a cloth over the fabric to keep from scorching it?
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

I know that a good setting will probably be on the lower end of the heat spectrum for Nylons. My iron has a setting for Nylon and for Polyester. I combined pinning and ironing on my most recent hammock, which worked pretty well.

I still have some crooked sections from where I lost focus, though.

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    Thanks for all the feed back. I am going to read the manual. I bought my wife a new sewing machine about a yr ago and it is still in the box. She knows a little about sewing so I plan to enlist her in my DIY projects.

Again- Thanks for the information.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    LW the Thru-hiker stuff sacks were a good place for me to start.
    http://thru-hiker.com/projects/silnylon_stuffsacks.php
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

With nylon I use tape instead of pins. If you lay down strips of 'magic' tape in the direction of the hem they will rip off in two pieces without damaging the stitches at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123