Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

Review of gear at 37.7,,34 on weatherbug

Did a test of gear last nite and I liked to burnt up at 37.7 on the weather bug. I hung a Wilderness Logics OldMan Winter tarp with the sides 18" off the ground, and doors shut. Wilderness Logics Snipe and bug net as at 5:30pm the skeeters hate me up while hanging all my gear. They were predicting 35 degrees,,and it got 34 everywhere within 50 miles of me on weather bugs in different areas and on local weather channel, my digital thermometer showed a low of 37.7 about 30 minutes after I got up at 7:30am this morning. I was wearing very light cotton lounge pants, a pair of smart wool socks, and a long sleeve mid weight silk insulated Cabella's top, very light weight and my Black Rock beinie. Slept in hammock with a Top Quilt of 20 degrees rated with one oz. over stuffing and UQ of 20 degrees with one oz of overstuffing,,,both made by Underground Quilts, got up once to pee at 4:30 and what a full moon, then slept like a baby till 7:30 and bailed for coffee. When I woke at 4:30,,dash of sweat around my neck as I had the quilt not covering my face at all at nite and was hot and thought maybe I should try my 40 degree quilt with 3 oz of over stuffing that UQ had made me,,as I was totally toast all nite long and I mean toasty warm,,almost too warm,,lol,,,at 7:30,,,I looked at my digital thermometer,,and it was registering 41 as I had created a my own microclimate inside the OMW tarp with the door completely shut even tho the sides were open 18" off the ground and there was absolutely no breeze, but when I went to rack out at 11pm there was a lite breeze and kinda counted on that and so shut the doors completely..was totally impressed at creating my own micro climate from breathing and body heat as 20 minutes after I got up went back out and digital thermometer had dropped to 37.7. as I had cracked one side of the doors open to get out and get some coffee. Tried the Dutch Flyz on my tarp lines out for the first time and really love the way they so easily hang the tarp and speedily are super to use. Need to get some smaller line as the glowwire is 2mm and want to drop down to the 1.7 mm line as the Dutch Flyz will work even faster and easier and will do so. This is the coldest I have been this year so far and all the gear from our cottage makers worked like a charm. I am super pleased how bomb proof it all is and how toasty I was. Will hang again tonite and use my 40TQ with the 20UQ from Underground Quilts and see how low I can take it with same clothing on as its supposed to drop to 35 again tonite. Will post about it tomorrow. And I will leave the doors open tonite to let the tarp vent alittle. There was a heavy dew on the tarp this morning and the sky was perfectly blue.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Images
    Good report, you are obviously good for well below the mid-30s!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    My house is in the middle of 40 acres of woods with little yard, trees go to withing 10ft of the back of the house and on sides with front only open with grass and drive way running down middle. Sets in a saddle then ridgeline runs an additional 300 ft topping out at about 920' of elevation and in Southern Indiana I own the tallest ridge for miles to give you a setting. Its 3.5 miles thru to the west before you run into a road that is all ridges and ravines of hardwoods with a 700 acre swamp about a mile west of the house in one valley. Hella setting! I am super pleased with the gear I have accumlated from all our cottage makers. Adam of Hammock Gear called my personal cell phone Friday as I was in the car, catching me alittle off guard as my wife is about the only person that calls that number as I carry a company cell phone too. I had ordered a 12' RL cuben tarp off him,,and he called making suggestions on making my 4 season tarp and was super pleased with his personal touch and ideas..I ended up telling him he is the Doctor of his Cuben Tarp making, so suprise me with the way he wanted to make it and can't wait to get it and try it out as well. I know anything he makes will be awesome. With the Snipe hammock,,and 132" RL on my OMW,,its just providing 6" of coverage at each end of the tarp and the 12' RL on the cuben tarp will give me a bit more coverage. Wilderness Logics now makes and gives a person a choice of either 132" or 144" RL on their tarps. The wife has laid claim to the OMW as she loves that tarp and used it last Oct. on one of our car camping hangs, so its now her tarp.. She might just hang outside tonite as she has made comments to maybe do so. So might end up using a old 12' x 12' diamond MOSS tarp that I have that is 28oz in weight but a good tarp that I have had and used over the past 14 or so years. Yep,,I am geared now for definitely 30 or a dash below, but can always wear heavier clothing to make things comfy. Very pleased! I just don't have time to camp much if any in the winter due to my work schedule and wished I did as I used to do quite a bit of snow camping and miss it.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I hung again last nite outside in the front yard and temps for the nite were not going to be as cold as they were predicting warming up to low of 45..so I changed out UQ to a 40 degree full lenght and for the top quilt, grabbed the 40 degree with 3 oz of overstuffing that Undgerground Quilts had made me,,and was pure toast again as the wind blew lightly all nite, had raised the tarp this nite to about 18 inches above the hammock putting the Old Man Winter tarp by Wilderness Logics about 2' off the ground as I wanted the breeze. I checked everything out about 30 minutes before dark,,and the mosquitos were inside under the tarp by the hundreds..but the Permethrin treaded bug net didn't have one on it anywhere,,so I put a uco treated citranela candle on the ground midway between bug net and tarp walls and in about 15 minutes had run all the skeeters out by dark,,so that non would climb in the bug net when I opened it..worked like a champ on that idea. Wore the same clothing as nite before and was toast all nite. Slept like a baby, and got up once at 4am to do my thingy,,wind was gusting to about 20mph, and as soon as I hit the sack again, it started to lightly rain putting me to sleep as it hit the tarp gently,,and didn't wake up again till 7:30am. I check my thermometer, and the lowest it got was 52, of which I was hoping for colder temps but the southern breeze just bounced it back up again. Wished I had used the 50 degree TQ to test it outdoors and will eventually to see how low I can take it. Time will tell. The gear worked perfect and breeze was gusting to 20mph with an avg. of 11 mph, and the Ti shepards hook tarp stakes were holding ever nicely with no give to them which also surprised me alittle as the whole tarp is moving in the wind alittle. Gear is all dry with a breeze as the rain blew out with a minor cold front moving thru and nice sunrise to a beautiful Easter Morning and supposedly will get as high as 65 or so today. The mosquitos in southern Indiana are increasing in intensity now and really attacking you enmass as you go outside in the woods setting I live in so anybody going outside to camp in Indiana woods had better have alot of bug spray with them or they are in trouble. The bug net of Wilderness Logics works perfect and Dutches Tarp Flyz held as this time just ran the chord thru the antenna end one time only to see if it held and its perfect as well..Kudos to Dutch for awesome gear. Had a great hang and I can't say enough about the gear that the cottage makers have made me..as the old saying goes..its all bomb proof and very nice.

• + New Posts