Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex

The HUG my first DIY project

Thanks to Loneoak, I now have a Singer 401A. I completed my first DIY last weekend but it was rainy up here so I did not get out into the woods until today. I wanted to start simple, so I picked up some tulle and grosgrain at Joann's and slapped together a HUG (half bug net) real quick. I did not have any sort of fabric to use as the patch, if you can see, my patch is white. I cut up a Tyvek USPS envelope and put one small piece on each side. All in all, I would say the hug cost about 3 or 4 bucks! It is pretty staticky though.

My bud Murph also enjoyed his first time in the hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex
    You can see I do need to cut my shock cord. When I got into the woods, I remembered I did not have a loop to prusik to my ridgeline. I also did not have a mini 'biner on me. I just double fisherman'd the shock cord to the extra cord of my ridgeline. I figure I will cut it once I set it up for real and know how long it should be.

I did have some tulle in my face a little, so I will have to make some minor adjustments.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Sweet! Did you use Tulle fabric for the netting? I've made three out of that stuff and it is a static nightmare. For all its lightweight-ness, I sure prefer no-see-um for performance. Thanks for posting!

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Tarp
    JRB spinn hex
    I did use tulle. Next bug net will have to be out of noseeum. I wanted to use tulle for my first DIY as I figured it would be super sloppy. It actually turned out pretty well. Thanks for sharing the plans for the hug! Even though I own the book on my iPad, it is great that you made it available to all.

On a side note, how do you 'get in' the hug? I think the easiest way I found was to undo the Velcro and put it down by my feet, then pull it up over me, fasten the Velcro and tighten the shock cord. Is that the easiest way?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brew View Post
    On a side note, how do you 'get in' the hug? I think the easiest way I found was to undo the Velcro and put it down by my feet, then pull it up over me, fasten the Velcro and tighten the shock cord. Is that the easiest way?
    Funny you should ask. I designed the HUG to be an easy-in/easy-out net. The idea was that you secure the Velcro on the head end and leave it. No pulling over your head, no extra fastening, etc.

As the HUG drapes down into the center of hammock, just push aside the net as you sit down in the center and then pull it up and over you head as you lay down. The HUG was designed to let you get in and out fast--as fast as sitting down and standing up. I needed this so I could react to the needs of my kids in the middle of the night withou getting tangled up in a net or have to fiddle with a zipper or Velcro.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Charlie, glad to see you putting the 401 to work. It will be interesting to see what all you come up to DIY. Bug net is looking good

• + New Posts