Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    So what size line do you guys use? 7/64?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Then you take your business elsewhere. The charges are posted before you pay. Shipping charges at Redden are quite reasonable as % of total when you buy more. Good prices on Grundens.

And did I mention that Reddens ships very fast?

And you, oh lucky man, can find a West Marine close by in Highlands, NJ, where they will price match Reddens on the spot. (You won't be welcome the next time if you try to claim the 5% Hammockforums discount on a $20 purchase, but that is what you have Peanut for: a distracting charm. What West Marine doesn't have at that branch will be shipped to it at no cost to you. Persuade the Governor you're going to wear your Amsteel, and you may not have to pay the sales tax in NJ, either.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    So what size line do you guys use? 7/64?
    Yes, 7/64" has a breaking strength of 1400-1600lb. Many, many threads here on cordage.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Yes, 7/64" has a breaking strength of 1400-1600lb. Many, many threads here on cordage.
    There's a vocal minority who go with 1/8" Amsteel - I bought some recently just to play with it. The 12-strand is a bit easier to splice, in my opinion. I don't plan on making whoopies out of it, but I like it for continuous loops and soft shackles.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    And you, oh lucky man, can find a West Marine close by in Highlands, NJ, where they will price match Reddens on the spot. (You won't be welcome the next time if you try to claim the 5% Hammockforums discount on a $20 purchase, but that is what you have Peanut for: a distracting charm.
    I have a West Marine even closer - five miles away in Eatontown. Last time I went down there and asked about Amsteel Blue the old geezer just rolled his eyes - didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

This time I'll take my pocket beagle Peanut - he should fit fine in my Ribzwear pack. I'll use him to charm the clerk into ordering from the catalog and shipping to the store. Great suggestion!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    It's probably only a matter of time till you do.

Quite a few members here have snapped 550, even using it in lower-stress applications than suspension use (ridgelines, etc). It's really only designed to be fully stretched a limited amount of times before the strength is derated.

I have nothing against 550...just be careful. It's really not advisable for suspension use.
    Plus one on this ... and I'm talking MIL Spec 550 too. Great stuff for a lot of applications but not suspension systems. Another draw back to it especially on lines running to your sleeping system ... that stuff wicks water like a small child sucking on a cherry slurppie on a hot day!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I actually called three different times, got three different people, and got the same answer each time: $11.05 was the cheapest shipping they offered. Seems like they've eliminated flat rate shipping entirely. I'm not happy, and may have to turn to other sources for Amsteel/Zing-It if I'm going to be gouged on shipping charges like that.

No reason I should pay more than $6 for shipping on an order like mine.
    Agreed. Some places get crazy on the shipping.
    I sell stuff that is a lot bigger and more valuable than cordage.
    www.valleykydex.com I offer flat rate $6 shipping, so I can't understand why stores can't do the same with things like cord. Works out good for both parties, the customer gets cheap shipping and I can just print label and drop package in one of those blue mail boxes.

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

550 cord

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Plus one on this ... and I'm talking MIL Spec 550 too. Great stuff for a lot of applications but not suspension systems. Another draw back to it especially on lines running to your sleeping system ... that stuff wicks water like a small child sucking on a cherry slurppie on a hot day!
    Plus 1 on that - I was out last Thursday night in the rain and felt a drop of water hit me on the lower leg. After a couple more drops I had to investigate. Water was running down my 550 cord ridge line and dripping off over my lower leg. Tied a 2' length of 550 cord just inside the tarp for a drip line and problem solved.

I use 550 cord for everything except my hammock. One long piece for the ridge line and two rolls that have been cut and tied back together in odd two-ish foot lengths used for tie outs and odd jobs around camp.

Nice thing about 550 cord is you don't feel bad about cutting it up for those odd jobs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12