Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps

dream hammock fabric shine

Hey all so I have a dream hammock which I love by the way. I'm wondering about the material. It's Fabric is 100% Polyester Crinkle Taffeta and its really shiny on the one side. Does anyone know how to dial down the shine ? I didn't expect it to be so shiny. I'm kinda use to it now but I'm still kinda curious . Would a run through the washing machine help and.... Honestly that option makes me nervous.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    Hey all so I have a dream hammock which I love by the way. I'm wondering about the material. It's Fabric is 100% Polyester Crinkle Taffeta and its really shiny on the one side. Does anyone know how to dial down the shine ? I didn't expect it to be so shiny. I'm kinda use to it now but I'm still kinda curious . Would a run through the washing machine help and.... Honestly that option makes me nervous.
    I just made myself an extra wide pink one this weekend with the same material. Was going to do pink on inside and silver on out side (which looks great), but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with that because of the weight...glad I just lashed and not sewed it so that I could mess with different lengths and layers. The care instructions I've copied and pasted below. I'm not sure that you can get rid of the "shine", which I actually like. It may take many, many washings. Just embrace the "shine" and rock your hammock proudly Also, personally I'd line dry, which differs from the instructions below.

Linen care instructions

Care of our tablecloths are very easy. They can be washed in regular home washing machines and used over and over. Washing in cold water with a regular detergent will be the best method. Similar to regular clothing, remember to always wash with similar colors. Mixing dark/bright colors with whites is not recommended. Bleach can be used on WHITE tablecloths, but not recommend for COLORED tablecloths. Stains should be washed as soon as possible to avoid them locking in and becoming permanent. They can be used in dryer machines, however, it is recommend that they be removed while still warm. This is to minimize excessive wrinkles. They can then be ironed with low heat to get out any wrinkles that are left. They should then be folded and put away for storage.

• As long as bleach is not used, our colored tablecloths will not fade, even after dozens of uses/washings.
    • Safe to be used in home washers/dryers.
    • Bleach can be used for our WHITE tablecloths, but not recommended for COLORED tablecloths
    • WARM water should be when put into washing machine to avoid fading colors
    • When put into dryer, do not use HIGH temperature settings as it may lead to possible shrinkage, use tumble dry LOW
    • Iron with LOW heat if still have any wrinkles

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Jon, you gotta wash 'em sooner or later, anyway...give it a go. I'm even more conservative than Diva with my synthetics: cold wash, line dry. I doubt the shine will go away, but let us know.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    I'm ok with the shine now, it kinda grows on ya. I've never washed a hammock before and I'm just a bit about trying it although it probably is fine to do so I'm sure. I mean is just fabric. I think I'll wait until it gets really dirty then I'll face the giant. Thanks for the insight and tips.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    I'm ok with the shine now, it kinda grows on ya. I've never washed a hammock before and I'm just a bit about trying it although it probably is fine to do so I'm sure. I mean is just fabric. I think I'll wait until it gets really dirty then I'll face the giant. Thanks for the insight and tips.
    The shine is likely a result of the same "calendering" process we look for to contribute to down-proofing.

• + New Posts