XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing

Which Quilt Hooks

You guys help me out here please. I have a WBBB and a HG Incubator. Which quilt hooks do I need from Dutch?
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Well, as its Dutch Gear...I would say ALL of them!

I would probably go with 2 of the type that go on the ends of your UQ suspension, and 2-4 of the type to sew to your hammock (either plastic or aluminum, I don't think it really matters). YMMV.

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Well, as its Dutch Gear...I would say ALL of them!

I would probably go with 2 of the type that go on the ends of your UQ suspension, and 2-4 of the type to sew to your hammock (either plastic or aluminum, I don't think it really matters). YMMV.
    I saw several different ones and being a novice I was not sure which was which.
    David

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If it were me I'd go with the aluminum ones.....sew on and done.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Well, this is a complicated question.

If you get the ones that you sew onto the hammock, then you can easily swap underquilts onto that hammock with one set of hooks.

On the other hand, if you have 6 hammocks (hypothetical, I'm sure) then get the hooks that stay on the underquilt shock cord which will allow you to move that quilt from hammock to hammock.

Come to think of it, just order a dozen of each kind and be done with it
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This is what I found good for me, but all people customize their setups differently. I have a WBBB and a 3/4 HG under-quilt that had the old style suspension. I do not use the pullouts on either side currently. Use of the shelf as a pocket is just fine for me and the extra netting in my face isn't a bother. This is what I have been re-outfitting with Dutchware recently.

I have the aluminum one's and they are great, but I think if I was to sew them on again, I would install the plastic (I think Dutch mentioned the same on another recent thread). I am not sure what it is, but the plastic that Dutch uses seems really solid. I first ordered two, but then realized 4/hammock was better, IMO.

Please note that when I first sewed the quilt hooks on, I sewed the hooks right below the zipper. Once when I closed both of the zippers while in the hammock a zipper pull got stuck on the quilt hook. It could have been a while before I got out, but my wife was standing close by (laughing).

Don't like to sew? I found the clip on quilt hooks work well on the shelf side of the WBBB. Mixed luck for me on the front side. I think they are intended for hammocks without zippers. Also, good to have to test out where you want to place the sewed on hooks.

Do you like to keep you underquilt on the hammock all the time? I found the "clip on quilt hooks" very useful because I could clothespin the cord above the gathered end. This can also be achieved by lark's heading the line to the gathered end, but then the line doesn't move freely. I have 2/hammock.

Do you have a weathershield? The clip on hooks also keep my makeshift weathershield clipped closer to the under quilt. 4 per make shift weather shield. (note: the clips will let one fashion a makeshift weathershield from a compactor/trashbag)

Do you have a gap at the head end or footend? If so, then a ridgeline hook may help (looks like a little V). I didn't have a gap at the head end with my HG 3/4. The gap at the foot end was caused by other things mentioned in another post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...73&postcount=9). If I was using my JRB summer quilt, I would definitely use them. 0-2 depending on your needs.

Hope that helps! You didn't mention anything about tarp or suspension...
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    This is what I found good for me, but all people customize their setups differently. I have a WBBB and a 3/4 HG under-quilt that had the old style suspension. I do not use the pullouts on either side currently. Use of the shelf as a pocket is just fine for me and the extra netting in my face isn't a bother. This is what I have been re-outfitting with Dutchware recently.

I have the aluminum one's and they are great, but I think if I was to sew them on again, I would install the plastic (I think Dutch mentioned the same on another recent thread). I am not sure what it is, but the plastic that Dutch uses seems really solid. I first ordered two, but then realized 4/hammock was better, IMO.

Please note that when I first sewed the quilt hooks on, I sewed the hooks right below the zipper. Once when I closed both of the zippers while in the hammock a zipper pull got stuck on the quilt hook. It could have been a while before I got out, but my wife was standing close by (laughing).

Don't like to sew? I found the clip on quilt hooks work well on the shelf side of the WBBB. Mixed luck for me on the front side. I think they are intended for hammocks without zippers. Also, good to have to test out where you want to place the sewed on hooks.

Do you like to keep you underquilt on the hammock all the time? I found the "clip on quilt hooks" very useful because I could clothespin the cord above the gathered end. This can also be achieved by lark's heading the line to the gathered end, but then the line doesn't move freely. I have 2/hammock.

Do you have a weathershield? The clip on hooks also keep my makeshift weathershield clipped closer to the under quilt. 4 per make shift weather shield. (note: the clips will let one fashion a makeshift weathershield from a compactor/trashbag)

Do you have a gap at the head end or footend? If so, then a ridgeline hook may help (looks like a little V). I didn't have a gap at the head end with my HG 3/4. The gap at the foot end was caused by other things mentioned in another post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...73&postcount=9). If I was using my JRB summer quilt, I would definitely use them. 0-2 depending on your needs.

Hope that helps! You didn't mention anything about tarp or suspension...
    I'll try to answer as best I can because I want/need and appreciate the help.

First, if I sew on I guess I need to do it well below the zipper. I thought about sewing on the aluminum one's on the hammock at the locations so the small plastic rings on the sides of the UQ would snap into them. But, I will have to be spot on with the location of the hooks because the quilt won't be able to move head-to-foot and vise-versa. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not but I don't know how else to do it. Not sure about the older UQ's but mine is new and the side shock cord is in a channel and I don't where else to attach it. ???

I don't keep the UQ on the hammock all the time.

I also don't have an weathershield.

I do have a gap at the foot and head end.

Thanks, David

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    can you post a pic of the hg uq suspension? i keep reading different descriptions of the new suspension, but i would do better with a picture.

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    It's hanging on the wall in my gear room. Hope this helps.

Close up view of side channel and D rings

Close up view of corner

View of the end of the UQ
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 04-09-2012 at 21:01.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That does help. I am not sure what the loops on the side of the quilt are for, maybe for different types of hammocks...

Look at Boomer's set up. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...0&postcount=11

You could use the loop in the middle to try adjusting the hang to get rid of gaps. If you buy to ridge line hooks (looks like v's) that might help with the end gaps, but you would probably need to add longer shock cord.

As far as quilt hooks, I'd suggest 4 plastic sew on. And recommend 2 clip ons to substitute for those s hooks, although if you got 4 clip ons you would have the option of making a weather shield out of a compactor trash bag.

But that is me... There are much wiser and more quilt experienced people on here. I learned a lot from that other thread and by testing out different suggestions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast