Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
    Can you set up a suspension system pretty much like the Black Bird suspension simply by swapping out the triangular rings with descending rings? I have had trouble with making loosening adjustments with the blackbird rings and I think the 1.5" rings from REI might make adjustments a bit quicker. I need another set of webbing suspension anyway.
    Thanks
    Yep, in fact the way the whole thing started was with climbing decender rings. TTTG Switchback actually uses forged climbing rings. I got extra rings from Paul at ArrowHead.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Yep, in fact the way the whole thing started was with climbing decender rings. TTTG Switchback actually uses forged climbing rings. I got extra rings from Paul at ArrowHead.
    Thanks for the reply. I actually went back and watched Grizz do the video on webbing suspension again and it goes into it pretty good detail. Funny how you lose some of the detail when you blast through all of Grizz and Shug's videos really quickly. I knew I had seen the technique, but had forgotten where. I went ahead and ordered some descending rings from REI and webbing from Strapworks. One more question...is there some advantage to doing a prussik to attach a loop of amsteel vs a simple larkshead? Grizz did a prussic but I thought you could probably just throw a larkshead on and it would be secure enough. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I have the webbing and the buckles and I love them...easy to adjust and set up. I have three sets of them that I put on my other hammocks...IMHO they work great!!! Turk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One more question...is there some advantage to doing a prussik to attach a loop of amsteel vs a simple larkshead? Grizz did a prussic but I thought you could probably just throw a larkshead on and it would be secure enough. Thanks again.
    Which of his 3 set up videos (& what was the player time) that you were questioning?

As far as if you're putting it through the gathered end of a hammock, the larkshead is fine. If you were going to go around (but not through a channel), I'd rather do a prussic to make sure that it didn't come off.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    ...I went ahead and ordered some descending rings from REI and webbing from Strapworks. One more question...is there some advantage to doing a prussik to attach a loop of amsteel vs a simple larkshead? Grizz did a prussic but I thought you could probably just throw a larkshead on and it would be secure enough. Thanks again.
    A simple larkshead works fine on the descender rings. A prusiks keeps the two rings a little more in alignment. As always its good to back up the rings by tying a slippery half hitch in the webbing where it exits the rings.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Boomer,
    I was referring to the descending rings, not the hammock end. It was the first video, about 3:30 in or so.

Bubba,
    That was what I was asking about. After reading a couple more threads, I got to that as well, and it sounds like many other issues, the success is person to person. I'll try the larkshead first and will adjust if needed. I have a set of the Warbonnet rings (?), so I'm used to doing the slippery half hitch with the free end of the webbing. Thanks for all the help guys!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12