WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods

1.1 D vs. 1.7D first impressions

I thought I would take a moment while the identifying bright nail polish is drying on the toggle of the head end of my new 1.1 double to give my first impression of the 1.1 vs. the 1.7.

First of all, I'm your basic 6'-0'' 186 lb ruggedly handsome guy. I don't know what bearing the ruggedly handsome has to play in the overall equation, but I felt it important enough to mention.

For my size and weight, I could have gone with either one. I already have a 1.7 and love it. I picked up a new 1.1 for a little weight reduction while still having a double bottom for protection from the ravenous appetite mosquitoes have developed for what I'm sure they refer to as "dinner" and I have referred to as "my ***" over the decades of my back country travels. I have the two weights because I have friends who sometimes come along to hear my many campfire stories which after a while and a few sips from the flask start to sound very familiar such as the occasional bass that has increased it's tremendous girth year after year, despite having been consumed after being fried in a pan some 12 years ago.

Anyway.....I came home from work and was pleasantly surprised to find my package including a new hammock and tarp. I immediately went to work setting it up in my testing spot despite the strong winds here today. It's downright chilly.

After laying in the 1.1, I went and brought out the 1.7. Then I once again tried the 1.1 even though the wind was not cooperating in the set up and take down of hammocks today. For those who are wondering about the difference in the two, I can assure you that you can tell almost instantly.

The 1.1 even with the DB, does have a little stretch to it. It felt a little bouncier under weight. However, at my weight and height, the lay was very flat and pleasant. This worked extremely well while lying on my side. Better than any hammock I've ever been in. (This is my 5th) This hammock will be a winner in my pack when it's time to count ounces on the trail.

The 1.7 DB is my workhorse hammock anymore. I love this thing. If it could cook me breakfast and figure out a phone and cable bill, I'd marry it. I get a nice flat lay in it, but not as much as the 1.1 DB set to the same angle of hang. I made a point to check that for comparison. There is no bounce to this hammock. It feels rock solid and it's nice to have a piece of equipment that I can give to a friend to use and know that they will be comfortable no matter what size and is sturdy enough to take the dings a newbie can dish out not being familiar with the fragility of a hammock.

Both hammocks, I have to add, are very well constructed. I'm impressed by what I've seen as far as quality. I was glad to once again see the consistency in Brandon's products. So impressed that I bought a second one to help introduce friends who'd like to try it. The WBBB is the hammock I believe has the best balance of the things I look for in a hammock.

And for those like me, ruggedly handsome who also happen to be about 6'-0'' and 186lbs or around there, who are on the fence about which one to get, I hope this might help in your decision just a little bit.

One happy hammocking guy

-Lorax

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I bought a second one to help introduce friends who'd like to try it.
    are you in the market for a new friend, if so, i'll try it out??

i'm trying to sale a bunch of stuff so that i can buy that same hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    are you in the market for a new friend, if so, i'll try it out??

i'm trying to sale a bunch of stuff so that i can buy that same hammock.
    With this new one, I'd sell my Clark if my son and wife both didn't like it so much. They have both spent a fair amount of time in hammocks and I can't wait for her to try the 1.1. At her 135lbs, I want her to try both the 1.1 and 1.7 and tell me what she thinks.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    LORAX! You didn't just post your wife's weight on the internet, did you?? Do you let her read this site?
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    LORAX! You didn't just post your wife's weight on the internet, did you?? Do you let her read this site?
    I'll go one step further and also say that she's not a true strawberry blonde either.

Got to go log out now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    No need now Lorax, i went ahead and bought the 1.1 DL last night after reading your post LOL

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Great story teller you are, hope you don't have to many knots on your head later today when she finds this post. Thanks for comparing the two. I have the 1.1dl and am close to the same weight/height as you, just not as good looking and I have no idea what my wife weighs.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl/Switchback
    Tarp
    MacCatDlx/Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQs+20burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle+Dutch
    Really appreciate this comparison, Lorax, thanks! I really like the WBBB, and, per the site's guidelines, was trying to decide between these two. It sounds like you're preferential toward the 1.7 if you could only have one, correct? I ask because I'm about 25lbs more than you and a few inches taller and was curious about comfort, given your opinion that the 1.1 had some stretch.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I'll go one step further and also say that she's not a true strawberry blonde either.

Got to go log out now.
    well in the coming week we might have one less member

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    BobB - It sounds like the 1.7 is probably the best one for you. Check the website for the weight recommendations. I have found the the recommendations are right on.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast